Can I Use Gel Coloring For Red Velvet Cake?

Decorating By jlynn21 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 6:25am by sayhellojana

jlynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynn21 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make 200 red velvet cupcakes and realized it will take lots (about 10 oz) of the liquid red food coloring. Can I use the gel colors (such as Wilton no-taste red)? Has anyone done this? If so, how much gel to use in the recipe (it calls for 1 oz per recipe). Thank you in advance!! (I am hoping to avoid the expense of each 1 oz bottle of the liquid color)

8 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, you can use gel - I don't know how much to tell you. You also may want to look into buying a big bottle of liquid red thru a local wholesaler.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 9

Certainly as Kory said........use it. You will use much less than those 10 oz using it over those tiny bottles of watered down coloring you buy in the grocery!

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 9

Will no-taste red work in that recipe? I know that the red food coloring I put in mine contributes to the taste...I tried making a yellow velvet cake once and it didn't taste the same.
Those of you that have made it with the gels, how much did you use?

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 9

I have on occasion had to do this, the only way I could figure out to do it was get about 1oz. of water and color it until it was DARK red and that seemed to work fine. I have used gel, liqua gel, paste and powder and it has turned out fine. You do all kinds of things in a pinch!icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 9

Maybe the yellow velvet didn't taste the same because of no cocoa?

carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:21am
post #7 of 9

i watered down the paste to make a oz my recipe calls for 2 oz and you mix the color with the cocoa powder

jenwiley3180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenwiley3180 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:45am
post #8 of 9

I took a one ounce tube of gel coloring and mixed it with about 2 tablespoons of water. It provided enough color for the recipe that required 2 ounces of the liquid food coloring.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:25am
post #9 of 9

I would deffinantly find somewhere to buy red food coloring in bulk. I know that Cash and Carry has it, as does Smart and Final. Any place like that should.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%