How Do You Keep Royal Icing From Sticking To Waxed Paper

Decorating By giggysmack Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm by BlakesCakes

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone
I've been having trouble with this and i see on Martha she just says slide the dried ri to the edge of the table and let the paper fall off????
So far I haven't even come close to this techinque.
so I'm wondering
How do you keep Royal Icing from sticking to waxed paper or parchment paper.
I've tried both waxed paper and parchment paper with similar results. Should the paper be treated first?

Thanks in advance

11 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 12

I don't treat the paper.. but make sure your RI is realllllllly dry.

I use an icing ofset spatula. I ALWAYS make extras as well to allow for breakage.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 12

Use plastic wrap instead!! You will never have a royal item stick to it *if it is dry enough*.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 12

Definitely plastic wrap instead of wax paper!!!!!! Your royal icing piece will virtually fall right off!

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 12

If you don't need to see through it to see a pattern or something, I use Reynold's Release. It works great for RI flowers. I love this stuff and have even used it to line cake pans - works great.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 12

I do a very light spray of canned oil like Pam or something and wipe it off with a paper towel so it still has some on it but not much.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I do a very light spray of canned oil like Pam or something and wipe it off with a paper towel so it still has some on it but not much.

Me, too! Learned that in the Master's and also the Lambeth/Australian classes at Wilton.

When removing the items, take a piece of paper and run it under the item. Even tiny lace points piped with a #1 tip will come off without breaking!

Rae

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Me, too! Learned that in the Master's and also the Lambeth/Australian classes at Wilton.

When removing the items, take a piece of paper and run it under the item. Even tiny lace points piped with a #1 tip will come off without breaking!

Rae

We rock!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif high five!

I'm sure I learned that from Wilton over the years.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 12

I use parchment paper instead of wax. I have never had a problem with sticking.

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I use parchment paper instead of wax. I have never had a problem with sticking.

Yes, if you have parchment with a silicone finish on it (usually says it on the box/wrapper), it can work well, too. Only problem I find is that it may not be transparent enough to see fine lines, if there are fine lines in the pattern.

Oh, and cheap waxed paper is the best--it's super thin, so you can see thru it pretty well.

Rae

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try out some of these. taxnerd What is Reynold's Release?

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggysmack

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try out some of these. taxnerd What is Reynold's Release?

Reynold's Release is non-stick aluminum foil. One side is marked to show that it's the non-stick side.

I've used it to pipe things freehand that I didn't need to see a pattern under and it's great--but be careful--it's really no stick & things can slide off of it easily with the slightest movement.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%