Frustrated

Decorating By Teena_Marie Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm by thecakebox

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 5

i tried quick pour fondant today for my petit fours and it didnt cover well at all! it reminded me of the glaze on glazed doughnuts!!kinda see through. i was very disappointed, so then i tried chocolate and it just didnt have a smooth finish, all blobby looking. *sighs* anyone know what i am doing wrong? maybe i should give up the petit fours and just make cupcakes instead!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:19am
post #2 of 5

Petit fours are not easy. using poured glaze, you can add some melted white chocolate for a more opaque covering. If you cake exterior is lumpy so will the coating be lumpy.

It helps to cut the cake while it is frozen.

For me, I would go with cupcakes.

mydor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydor Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 5

I noticed in one of my books, that before cutting pettit fours, a layer of fondant was put on top of the 9 x 13 cake, than cut into the little squares. Squares were put on a rack and than the poured icing was added. A squirt bottle was used on the side to catch any spots that were missing. A denser cake was used. This creates less bumps. Sometimes the poured fondant needs more fondant added to make it thicker.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 5

I just attended a class that briefly touched on petit fours last week. The instructer said to use pound cake or something similar. torte and fill your square or sheet cake, then freeze it. Once it's solid, cut it into squares and refreeze. Once they are solid again, make sure there are no crumbs or lumpiness, then she dipped them in melted chocolate. the chocolate hardened right away since they were frozen. I think she said she uses white chocolate when she needs a white covering but didn't mention poured fondant. It looked pretty easy, but of course I haven't tried it yet.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

I took a professional baking course, and the instructor said that the poured fondant is supposed to be slightly see through, she said you want to see the layers. most books say to cover them with marzipan first so that would give them a completely smooth appearance, hth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%