Two Days In A Row

Decorating By nopleazn Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm by Pookie59

nopleazn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nopleazn Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

OK I'm sooo very new to this whole baking thing.. I have tried two days in a row now and I can't seem to get anything right icon_redface.gif I have tried the Wilton's icing and I have tried some recipes off the internet for icing.. I have all so tried to make the cake from different recipes from the net... My question is does it get any easier as you go? I have been told "Life is a Dance You Learn as You Go" but does cake baking have the same concept icon_confused.gif

6 replies
jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

Oh yes, it DOES get easier! I'm sorry for all your troubles. Sending hugs your way. I might suggest you try the White Almond Sour Cream recipe from here. Look in the recipe section. It is pretty foolproof. Also, the recipes are rated by stars and you might try a highly rated one. As far as icing.... your texture might have a lot to do w/ your problem. Icing needs to be a little thinner for icing the cake and a little thicker for decorations, like roses. Make it thinner with a little water or milk, thicker with more powdered sugar. And always, beat the heck out of it with your mixer to make a good texture.
HTH!
Jenny

nopleazn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nopleazn Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

Thank You jenny518 for the information.. I will go and check out the recipes. I guess I will add more or less just depending on the decorating I'm going to do.. icon_smile.gif

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 7

I always use the Wilton Butter cream (BC) icing recipe. Primarily, I use cake mix from a box (is this taboo?)For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.

I started making/decorating cakes when I was a kid (my mom made cakes on the side) and she'd have leftover icing and I'd use it to decorate. Keep trying and don't give up.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 7

It does get easier icon_smile.gif . The more you do things the better you'll get. There are lots of good recipes on CC for 'doctored' box mix cakes. Lots of people love the WASC cake (white almond sour cream). The Wilton icing works really well, but if you use all butter it will be much softer and won't hold up in warm and/or humid weather. The all-Crisco is more stable. I prefer Indydebi's buttercream. You can search her name on the recipes tab. If you want to try a scratch cake you can try my Vanilla Butter Cake (search that name in recipes). It's the only recipe I use and it never fails. Good luck and keep trying thumbs_up.gif !

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

When "beating the heck" out of your icing don't use a high speed or it will be full of air bubbles and that will give you fits. indydebi's icing recipe on this site is very good and holds up well.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 7

Or course it gets easier. If you've just started, then you're probably just lacking in experience. I've been baking since I was 12 (yikes - 37 years) but even so I have an occasional baking disaster. We all deal with bad recipes, bad luck or just bad nothing-goes-right days. Hang in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%