Dachsund Cake, Help!

Decorating By debbek152 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm by debbek152

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make a free-standing Dachsund cake and I need help figuring out the framework. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

8 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 9

what is a "dachsund" cake??

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #3 of 9

I think I saw an Ace of Cakes on this once. They put the dog on a hot dog bun that cracked down the middle.

But anyway...I think the body was just an oval and the head was probably carved styrofoam covered in fondant. The rest was probably all fondant attachments.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #4 of 9

I have this one, from http://www.dachshundfriendshipclub.com/ ...scroll down almost halfway on the right, if you can't see the copy I posted.
It looks as if it were made with a jelly roll for the body, 4 smaller ones for the legs, and a cupcake or egg shape for the head.
That may help you with some ideas.
LL

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 9

Have you searched for "dachsund" in the galleries? Find one you like and try PMing it's creator.

The one made on Ace of Cakes looked really simple to do.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 9

I don't have any dachsunds in my photos, but I have some dog cakes in there that might give you an idea of where to start.

Deanna

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 9

Since it's free-standing, I'd made a support base for it (nails or screws/dowels (larger than what you use to support cake tiers), a board or foam board for the body) and build the cake on that. Use rice treats for the legs and cover in fondant, I'd also use some support/angled dowels for the neck/head and use treats for that as well if possible.

I have done a few "free standing" 3D cakes, and you will need to also screw the legs to the board so the weight of the head won't pull the dog over or have it topple during transport.

Standing cakes are challenging, but as Duff does, you need to have a good base support for it first, then it will be easier on you to make.

Is it possible to have a molded dog on top of the actual cake since there won't be a lot of servings with making it 3D? Just a thought, but it's what the client wants.

Make sure to post some pictures if you can once you get it done. Sounds like a fun/challenging cake to make.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 9

I'm not sure what you mean by free-standing, but the one I did I used large soup cans for the body and it worked great. The Head was RKT, and the legs and tail were fondant.
LL

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the info and help. When I get it finished I will post pics and let you know how I did it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%