Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 7:04pm by leah_s

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #91 of 586

This is great! Thank leahs.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #92 of 586

I am doing my first wedding cake in a looooong time on May 2. It will be a 4-tier, 15", 12", 9", 6", and because of its design it will have to be delivered fully assembled. And did I mention I'm delivering it 70 miles? So I've taken the plunge and ordered SPS.

Leah,

1. Have you ever carried one this size? Can I do it? Can DH do it?

2. You don't wrap the cardboard rounds in anything, is that correct? Do you not have trouble with them getting greasy/soggy?

Thank you! I'm excited to try it!

Faerieluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faerieluna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:30am
post #93 of 586

I went to oasis.com and it wasn't a cake supply site. I think the right one is oasisupply; I found the SPS system there. (Yes, there does seem to be one "s" missing, but that's correct.)

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #94 of 586

I'm confused. Is a center dowel used with this system? I looked through the instructions, but I don't see a hole for the dowel. I'm sure I'm just missing something here. Thanks!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #95 of 586

So I just made a 5 tier cake and I use IMBC. When I stacked them my 14" my BC cracked and kept cracking as I continued to stack. Any suggestions? As you can imagine I was freaking out! It did turn out okay...haven't heard from the bride.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #96 of 586

thanks for the info on the sps

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #97 of 586

No center dowel tootie...not needed!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #98 of 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I use an Agbay to trim each layer to precisely 7/8 inch.

This is awesome! thank you Leah!!! I've read the whole thread...and quick question--what is an Agbay? I also bought the Wilton's leveler and it sucks thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #99 of 586

www.agbayproducts.com
Best.Cake.Leveler.Ever.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #100 of 586
Quote:

www.agbayproducts.com
Best.Cake.Leveler.Ever.

Ahhh thanks a lot Leah! quite a difference from the Wilton leveler!! I can see why you love it thumbs_up.gif
I think I'm gonna give myself an Agbay for my b-day icon_biggrin.gif

Fridsemd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fridsemd Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #101 of 586

Thank you so much. Excellent instructions!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #102 of 586

LeahS - I purchased SPS! And I've read thru the tutorial you made (thank you so much btw). I'm making a 6",8",10", 12" square cake. So I actually bought SPS for the 6",8",10", and 12". I was just looking at it, and based on everything, I'm just kind of assuming that I don't actually use the 12" plate. So for the 12" inch cake, do I just put that on a regular board? And then start working with the 10" plate and legs?

Thank you so much!

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #103 of 586

Cyls, You've got it. You don't need that 12" SPS plate (yet.) You'll use it on another cake, I'm sure.

I just a shipment of SPS supplies in yesterday also. Dozens and dozens of plates and bags of legs. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #104 of 586

Thanks Leahs! I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it right. And I'll definitely use the extra plate sometime!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #105 of 586

A couple quick questions here....I'm thinking of trying this SPS for a wedding cake (first I've ever officially done).

1. Once I place the cake (with a carboard under it) onto the separator plate, there will be no room in between cakes right? All the plastic plate and carboard circle will be covered up when I add a border? Never having used it, it seems like the plastic plate + cardboard would be a lot of space to cover up. ????

2. Also, do you recommend coating the bottom of the separator plate with anything so that icing doesn't stick to it when they are serving it at the wedding? In the past I have just put a little powdered sugar on the bottom of a wax paper coated cardboard circle. Is that the best thing?

3. Last question! Do you need to give instructions to anyone about disassembling the sps when they are cutting the cake at the reception?

Thanks for answers in advance!

LoriMc Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #106 of 586

I need to add that I will be using a crusting buttercream. Leahs I saw that you use a non crusting buttercream. Anybody here used SPS with a crusting buttercream?

The man at the Oasis store acted like I was an idiot for asking about the buttercream sticking to the plate. He told me he just "doesn't bother to put any icing on the cake where the plate will sit. So am I the lunatic or is he? icon_twisted.gif

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #107 of 586

I think that only cake bakers worry about the icing under the plate. Seriously, the caterer cutting your cake could care less. But the good news is that if you're using a crusting bc, just let it crust very well and it won't stick to the SPS plate anyway. Indydebi does it all the time. With a non-crusting bc, I put coarse sugar under the plate. I'm currently using a lightly crusting bc, having recently tweaked my recipe a bit.

And the caterer cutting the cake will love SPS. All they have to do is get a knife under the plate and the whole thing will come out of the tier in one piece. They love, love, love not having to dig around for dowels. And they don't need directions.

A border will cover up the edge of the plate and the cardboard, but ouwill need to get your cake to the roper height. Otherwise you'll have to cover airspace too, or trim the legs.

LoriMc Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #108 of 586

Ok, I'm gonna try it! Thanks!

cylstrial Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #109 of 586

Hey Leah - is there a way to use SPS and not have a border around the cake plate? My friend didn't really want a border on the cake. But she might just have to have one. =o)

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #110 of 586

Someone on here figured out a way to do it, but I didn't totally get it. I tell all my clients, "There has to be an inside border to hide the construction."

cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #111 of 586
Quote:

Someone on here figured out a way to do it, but I didn't totally get it. I tell all my clients, "There has to be an inside border to hide the construction."

Sounds good! She might just get what she gets, especially since this is my wedding gift to her. Thanks for your help though! In the future, I'll know to explain that there has to be a border. thumbs_up.gif

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #112 of 586

Thanks Leah. I need to take a serious look at this system because yesterday I had a 4 tier stacked cake fall over!! I am so upset . I feel like I ruined the girl's wedding. I think I will only travel with a two stacker and assemble at the reception. Do you think I can smooth the bc icing after it has crusted?
I have been using a high ratio of butter to hi ratio shortening which makes it hard to smooth after it has crusted. I think I need to start using more shortening and less butter. (3:1)

When you do a stacked cake, do you have to put a bottom border around the base of each cake to hide the plates? Is it possible to assemble on sight , fill in with icing, and smooth it?

I really appreciate your advice.
Thank you,
Sandy

leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #113 of 586

I think you're missing the point about crusting icing. You have to do all your smoothing before it crusts. That's kinda the whole point. Once it crusts you're done.

I do find that I need an inside border to hide the construction, but I always liked borders. You can also use a ribbon.

I do a partial on site assembly. After all, I only transport stacked what I can lift.

LoriMc Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #114 of 586

Of course now my person wants a 4 tier instead of a 3. Am I pushing my luck to have a 4 tiered cake (assembled with SPS) drive in a car for about 30 min? Can one person carry a 4 tiered cake??? Will it even fit in a car?

This is all new to me and I am getting nervous!

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #115 of 586

All I can say is THANKS SO MUCH!!! I cant wait to try this. icon_smile.gif

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #116 of 586

>>I think you're missing the point about crusting icing. You have to do all your smoothing before it crusts. That's kinda the whole point. Once it crusts you're done.<<

Hi Leah,

I thought that I should not attempt traveling with a four stack cake for 60 + miles (hills, traffic etc.)
If I assemble the cake on sight, will I have trouble touching up and smoothing the icing.

What kind of base do you use (under bottom cake)? I measured the Grecian columns that came with the SPS plate. It was 5 1/8 inches long. Are there shorter ones?

Thank you so much! You are wonderful!

Sandy

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #117 of 586

Hi

I'm in the Uk and need to get hold of the SPS, does anyone know who I can order it from? Even when I tried searching world wide on the web I could only find the 9" coloumns so would appreciate ANY advice on getting the four inch ones plus the plates. Also is SPS a brand or is there a brand of SPS that is the one Leah recommends?

Thanks again
Claire

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #118 of 586

You can buy SPS from www.globalsugarart.com. And they do sell the 4 inch columns as well. The SPS that I bought from global sugar are made by Bakery Crafts.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #119 of 586

I mostly understand the process and plan to order in a few days for a 5 tier stacked cake next weekend. My only question is...or maybe I'm missing something even with viewing the visual.

How do I make sure the dowels are lined up to pop into place on the plate that is under the cake?

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #120 of 586

SPS doesn't use dowels.

Also, SPS is a proper name for the system made by Bakery Crafts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%