Can Someone Help Me With A Book Cake Please?

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm by Sarsi

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a book cake tomorrow. it will be a closed book and I have looked in the galleries and found some wonderful pictures. My question is - how do i get the goldish look on the pages? The pictures that I have found have said that they used gold luster dust for the look. So I got some of that and now I don't know what to do. I have never really worked with luster dust before - how do apply it to the "pages" do I brush it on there dry or do i make it into a liquid somehow (and if so how do I do that)? Any help would be appreciated. thanks all

9 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 10

To make the luster dust liquid use a clear alcohol like vodka or the like it will evaporate and dry quickly. Then just paint your pages

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 10

Yes, dry brush it. Dip your brush in the pot, tap off as much as you can, then *lightly* brush it on the pages.
To mix it w/vodka, everclear, lemon extract or other alcohol would make it much more gold than I think you want.
The dust goes a lllooooooooonng way icon_smile.gif
Just be *sure* to get the lid back on tight. I don't kn ow how many have lost their dust because the lid wasn't tight icon_sad.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 10

thank you so much guys, I appreciate it

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 10

I've got to do a closed book, too, for the first time...any tips on doing the fondant cover? It seems simple enough, but as we all know - what looks simple on cake isn't necessarily so!

tdybear1978 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 10

yeah, that is what I am actually struggling with too. I have just now iced my cake and trying to figure out the best way to approach the cover haha

absijails Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #7 of 10

bump...

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 10

Okay, absijails - I finished my cake (I will post a pic when I get it off my camera) to make the cover, I measured out my cake basically twice (fondant to cover the bottom and the top of the cake) I put my thin layer of icing on my cake and I then attached my white fondant to the sides for the pages and made the lines for the pages. I rolled out the fondant and cut it to match my measurements. Then I lifter the cake (very carefully) and positioned on one end of the fondant with just a very little bit showing at the bottom for the lip of the cover, then I brought the other half of the fondant up over the side and smoothed over the top. If you need to trim anything do it now as the fondant will stiffin. It really was not as hard as I thought it would be. Whewww I am glad it is done now though icon_smile.gif

I am by no means an expert on this but if you have any questions feel free to ask

absijails Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks tdybear1978 for the instructions! I'm doing the cake on Friday night so I'll let you know how it goes!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 10

I know a lot of people make the book cake the way that tdybear1978 explained, but I found it to be SOOOO hard!! Here's a link to a different thread where I shared my way of doing it that is so much easier and much less stressful!!!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587141.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%