Whipped Cream Icing - Questions And A Piping Gel Issue...

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 3

I've tried the "Whipped Cream Icing II" recipe posted by Toni Wiggins and found it easy to work with and tasted great. However, the recipe requires the use of piping gel. When I added the piping gel it did not mix well with the rest of the ingredients. I realize that I probably should have mixed it longer, but the recipe states, "Be careful not to over mix" so I was hesitant to mix too long.

Has anyone tried this recipe or a similar recipe that uses piping gel? If so, how did you handle the clumping issue?

Also, is there such a thing as a crusting whipped cream (that does not use cream cheese)? If so - would you please share it with me? If not - what do you do about a crumb layer?Please help! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 3

... is there such a thing as a crusting whipped cream (that does not use cream cheese)? If so - would you please share it with me? If not - what do you do about a crumb layer......

Sorry I am not fimilar w/that recipe so can't help w/the piping gel part.
I doubt there is a crusting whipped cream icing.
As for the crumb coat, still put a thin layer of whipped cream on. You do not have to let it dry but it will dry eventually if you let it sit long enough. Instead, give it maybe 15-30 minutes, then put on your final coat of icing..... it should be just fine. That goes for all icing recipes & crumb coating.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your response. I am a real beginner to baking and decorating so I appreciate your wisdom! icon_smile.gif The info about the crumb coat is very helpful because I wasn't sure if crumb coats had to crust in order for them to "work." Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%