1968 Wedding Cake Ideas?

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 12:56am by mqguffey

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 11

A fried has asked me to recreate her parents 1968 wedding cake for their 40th anniversary, but unfortunately no one can find a picture of it. (It's a surprise, so she can't ask her mom, but she's ransacked her mom's house for her wedding album and can't find it.)

Anyway, we've decided to do something typical of the era, but I'm not really sure what was typical. She said she was sure it was round and probably had pillars, but other than that I'm on my own.

She did find the cake topper, so I've attached a picture of that for inspiration. I've got to work on cleaning the topper up too!

I'd love some design ideas. If anyone happens to have any old Wilton or other cake decorating books from the late 60s, would you mind flipping through them and sharing the trends. Thanks so much!
LL

10 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 11

For some reason I can't veiw the topper photo? maybe you can load it a different way?

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 11

never mind I got it to come up now.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe someone on cc has pictures from a relative's wedding from the 1960's that they can post. I'll look to see if I have any in the shoe boxes.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 11

I can't get the attachment to work. Now, what was cool in 1968? (Ask Indydebi, she knows everything! icon_biggrin.gif) Tye-dye tee shirts, embroidered jeans, long fringe vests, long hair, flowers in the hair, (ahem...) bongs, anything psychodelic, peter max, the beatles, etc. etc. Is that helping any? icon_smile.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 11

There's a lot of 7 Wilton Year books on Ebay that includes the 1968 yearbook. Currently going for $4.99!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 11

I have a 1970 Wilton's wonderland of cake decorating, and it shows lots of garland, string work under the garlands, string work over and on top of garlands, large shell borders lattice work, in fact if you can pipe it, you can put it on. Most of the cakes are suffering from over decoritous.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

The oldest Wilton book I have is 1979 and the wedding cakes have tons of pillars and overkill on the buttercream or royal icing flowers!!!! I assume 60's would be extremely conservative and possibly overly ornate buttercream stuff, lots of roses, lots of white.

Let us know what you find!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 11

Google 1968 wedding cake. You'll find some interesting things!

Elvis and Julie Nixon got married in 1968. You can find pictures of their lavish cakes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 11

I have "Cake and Food Decorating by Wilton" from 1970/1971. Here are a few, but they all look really ornate and overdone. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Lots of color. Lots of pillars/swans/angels etc.
LL
LL
LL
LL

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much for your help, as usual CCers rock!

April, thank you for scanning those photos. I know that took time and I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%