Its Called Rent A Cake What!!!!

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm by funcakes

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 39

You have got to take a look at this . What will they come up with next no cake at all icon_mad.gif http://www.isntshelovely.org/search/label/Cake Scroll down below the green cake and the other cakes and read the article and there is a link to www.cakerental.com which states they coined the idea.

38 replies
keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 39

i have a feeling this will go over as well as rental wedding gowns.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 39

Cake that nobody likes to eat anyway!!! Are they INSANE! That's the freaking best part of the wedding.....when designing my cake, the only thing I told the baker was I like fall theme and it has to taste DELICIOUS! These people are crazy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 39

Well, heck, what about all the "rubber chicken" dinners that folks have to choke down? And what about the fancy sounding food that no one knows what it is? Gosh, "no body eats it anyway" so just lay out plastic food and then serve 'em McDonalds from the kitchen. That'll save you a fortune, too! icon_confused.gif

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 39

Their "cakes" sure are pretty... too bad they don't taste good... I think that this is silly!

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 39

That is to funny renting a wedding cake, id love to see if this takes off.... I loved planning my cake that was the best part making it "me"....

BUT i must tell you keljo05 , that wedding gown rentals are HUGE now, i have a friend here in roseville calif that does just that, she has a business http://www.alexandriasformal.com/page/page/1394292.htm and thats her specialty, she rents wedding gowns, she has been featured in NY magazine, plus a few others, also she was talked about on the Tyra Banks show, Good morning Sacramento, just to mention a few it is HUGE.... She does a fantastic busniss and people come from all over to do this, she business has grown so much in the last few years it amazes me.

She started out doing prom rentals and that grew so big, then she added Quinceanera, then mother of the brides and then wedding and it just took off so big, now she is phasing out the prom to a minimum and doing mostly weddings, this woman has everything you need to make a bride feel special.

Ijust needed to let you ladies know that there is a HUGE business for this kind of service.. Im thinking paying a huge amount for a dress im only wearing once or a big honeymoon, hmmm lemme think im going to hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

How Much Does it Cost?
The price of the cake depends on you and how big (or tall) that you want it.

If you order a cake from my gallery (3 tier) the cost of rental is $150.00 plus shipping.

You can also custom order your cake with your own design.
The basic three tiered cake rental is $250.00 plus shipping.

Each additional tier has an additional cost of $75.00

All cakes require a $200.00 safety deposit for the return of the cake.
Once the cake has returned your $200.00 will be refunde

$150.00 -$250.00 PLUS shipping PLUS you have to go to costco and buy sheet cakes!! Yeah they are saving a whole heck of alot of money there!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #8 of 39

why on earth would people want pay few hundred dollars to rent cakes & return them, when they can pay just a bit more to have cakes at their wedding, & get everyone to eat them too?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #9 of 39

Fake cake is the most puzzling thing I have ever seen.

Why not make clear cake since "nobody likes to look at it anyway..."

WHy not "rent a family"...I mean, if you can't afford to fly your real father in from a few states away....just rent one! No one talks to him anyway! And the best excuse...."It's just for picture purposes..."

Why not Fake Wedding documents.....since it's just for legal purposes anyway...

WHy not styrofoam diamonds....it's all good...right?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #10 of 39

I just commented

a dollar says it doesn't get posted

"Hi. My name is Jeanne Williamson. I am not only a cake decorator but also a creator of delicious cakes for any occasion including wedding cakes. I appreciate what you are marketing. I don't, however, appreciate your choice of description of the wedding cake. I do agree, why would someone pay 1500.00 on a cake that no one likes? Why would someone pay 50.00 for cake no one likes? Who's to say those sheet cakes are going to be something everyone likes. I would hope that brides-to-be along with someone they trust make an effort to attend tastings...more than one...to find someone who will give them a cake that not only looks good but also tastes good.
There's also tradition in wedding cakes regardless of how much it costs. It's people surrounding the newly married couple and eating of the same cake...like a toast...a wish...to a sweet life together.
I've been making cakes for a very long time...people LOVE CAKE!

I mean no offense. The "green" thing is all well and good but I do believe you stepped on a few toes with the "cake no one likes to eat" comment."

indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 39

I'm reading the testimonials and they are cracking me up! "We got the cake of our dreams!" Sheet cakes from a grocery store was the cake of their dreams? icon_confused.gif Because what cakerentals sent them WAS NOT A CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another one: "We were having a small wedding and couldn't believe the prices of cakes, until we found Cakerental.com." The price you paid for cakerental was not THE PRICE OF YOUR CAKE!!!!!!!!!!! It was the price of a decoration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord!!! icon_eek.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 39

I'm going out on a limb here....I know but here goes. If you can't beat them than join them.

I'm starting to think if this takes off, I may consider offering rental of my dummies. They're already made.....if they rent for $250 and you rent the same one 4 times in a month that's $1000 for no work, it's already made up anyway. Than, you offer sheet cakes to serve the guests, the ones that stay in the pan, simple.

I know it's hard for us to conceive, because we love Wedding Cakes that's why we make them, but......there are some people in this world that don't give a flying pig about cakes. These are the ones we could get to rent out our dummies that we already have made up anyway. Hey, if they're dumb enough to pay that much for a styrofoam cake, than we may as well get in on the action. Sounds silly, but maybe not as silly as when I first heard about it.

BTW, I've had an $1800 wedding dress boxed up in my closet for over 20 yrs. in the hope that my DD will want to wear it....I'd love for her to use it, but I doubt she will. icon_sad.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 39

Interesting take on it dkelly and I see where you are coming from.

indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

BTW, I've had an $1800 wedding dress boxed up in my closet for over 20 yrs. in the hope that my DD will want to wear it....I'd love for her to use it, but I doubt she will. icon_sad.gif

icon_lol.gif My sister kept her dress forever ... until she realized that neither of her two BOYS would probably wear it! icon_lol.gif On the other hand, my daughter DID wear my wedding dress ... she was 9 when I bought it and said that very day, "Mom, if you buy that dress, I'LL wear it when *I* get married!" ...... and she did. She has boxed it up in case HER daughter wants to wear it. We think it would be really cool for it to be a 3rd generation dress ... especially when we factor that my granddaughter is the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter of the eldest daugther! (ok, well, it's cool to us! icon_redface.gif )

Back to the topic ... I'm actually considering doing mini-styro's for centerpieces. Styro 6/8 inchers, basic white decor that can have silk flowers plopped on top for color. My barrier right now is storage for the completed ones! icon_eek.gif

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 39

I still don't get it. I think the dismissal of the cutting of the ceremonial wedding cake.(and it is a ceremony all to itself)..regardless of how it's designed(or no design at all)....is the shelving of a tradition.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:32pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I know it's hard for us to conceive, because we love Wedding Cakes that's why we make them, but......there are some people in this world that don't give a flying pig about cakes. These are the ones we could get to rent out our dummies that we already have made up anyway. Hey, if they're dumb enough to pay that much for a styrofoam cake, than we may as well get in on the action.

Or, they care about cake as food (picky about who does the sheet cake) but not so much about decoration (premade fake cake, not their own design, but it's "cake" for whoever needs to see a cake at a wedding reception).

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 39

[quote="indydebi"] On the other hand, my daughter DID wear my wedding dress ... she was 9 when I bought it and said that very day, "Mom, if you buy that dress, I'LL wear it when *I* get married!" ...... and she did. She has boxed it up in case HER daughter wants to wear it. We think it would be really cool for it to be a 3rd generation dress ... especially when we factor that my granddaughter is the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter of the eldest daugther! (ok, well, it's cool to us! icon_redface.gif )

Oh, that's awesome that your daughter wore your gown princess.gif I'm keeping my hopes up that my DD will want to wear mine, (after college I hope) thumbs_up.gif

To all4cake, you don't have to give up the cake cutting ceremony. My niece wanted a dummy cake, because her sister was making the carrot cake for dessert (she's a great baker, but won't decorate). So the dummy I made for her was 4 stacked square tiers. On the bottom tier I cut out an area about 6" wide x 4" long and inserted real cake, I lined the rough edges of the foam dummy with parchment, so it didn't touch the real cake. Than I just decorated as usual. I discreetly showed them where to cut (I had marked off the area on the cakeboard with a tiny mark that the naked eye wouldn't know was there), and than they did their cake cutting thing. icon_smile.gif Worked out great for pictures.

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 39

I understand the concept of having a dummy at a wedding.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought the initial cut was the only part of the ceremony...but rather the cake...the whole cake...regardless of how it's decorated, if at all, is the ceremony.

I suppose, if the slice that was inserted into the dummy and the sister's delicious carrot cake were from the same cake...

oh, anyway, I mean no disrespect to anyone....I just find it sad.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #19 of 39

LOL I just had a request for a styrofoam cake the other day after I gave out a quote for a 'real' cake which would have cost her $900.

I quoted her $200 for the dummy cake because I was going to have to purchase more dummies, pay for shipping, purchase fondant and then
add my labor. She was STILL shocked that I was going to charge her $200. I'm not in the 'rental' business and I still have expenses even if the cake is fake. The bride to be had read about the 'rental cakes' and I guess she thought I was going to do it for $100!!! haha gotta love those brides....

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 39

I still don't get it? I read the testimonials of the rental cake company. The one Bride was saying how she loved her cake & couldn't wait for everyone to see it. Ahh, It's not YOUR cake probably 100 other people have had YOUR cake at there wedding reception. She can't wait for the guest to see it but not eat it. icon_lol.gif I guess I'm just old fashioned, & like to eat cake icon_biggrin.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #21 of 39

I also wore my mother's dress 44 years later ((I was an old-36 first time bride) but then decided to use if for a christening gown so that's what became of it.
Back on topic-I think this green thing when it comes to wedding cakes is stupid as well. I look forward to the cake too-that's usually the best part of the wedding (as IndyDebi said-too many rubber chicken, frozen green bean plates in my past).
I think this is catching on because my friend in the state of WA said there was an article in the paper a few weeks ago regarding the rental of cakes. It did mention you should get a "real" cake to serve to your guests but it's not necessary.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

I think this is catching on because my friend in the state of WA said there was an article in the paper a few weeks ago regarding the rental of cakes. It did mention you should get a "real" cake to serve to your guests but it's not necessary.

icon_eek.gif NOT NECESSARY! When did the media become the experts on Wedding Etiquette!? I find this soo hilarious icon_lol.gif i mean...the cake is part of the tradition whether you have real or fake on display...if the media keeps putting it out there that no one really wants cake...then we are either going to be out of business OR no one will go to weddings because they'll all be like "Well, I'm not going to the reception because they are not serving cake anyway" pffft

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 39

I got married in a castle, in a designer gown, honeymooned in the most expensive city in the world, and had a huge party for all my friends- and the whole thing cost me just over $5,000. I make that point not to gloat, but to point out that there are lots of different ways to get married, and every bride should get to chose what's important to them. I would NEVER spend $1000 on a cake, yet I get $1000 for at least one cake almost every week.

The thing that I noticed about the site is that it is $150 for a " basic three tiered cake". Most of those cakes were four or more tiers, and only a few were what I'd consider "basic", so the whole premise is based on a bait and switch to begin with. If you're coaching a bride, that is the first thing to point out.

The media panders. They will cover the rent-a-cake just like they cover the Filene's "running of the brides" sale because it's just not sexy to tell a bride " the best way to cut wedding costs is to cut your guest list". Would " Sensible weddings for under 80 people" be as intriguing a story as " Have your dream wedding on a budget" ?

Get over it. This whining about the media is getting a little old. Anybody who takes advice from the snippets on the Today show is a moron. The trouble with people under the age of forty in general is that they watch too much TV and believe the nonsense they spew.

Make some standard white bride's cake dummies and give the girls a choice. " Here, you can rent this cake and have your florist put flowers to match your ceremony on it for $150 plus the cost of kitchen cakes" or you can have a cake designed just for you for $450.

Whew!!!!! I'm glad I got that out of my system. Remind me not to read any of these threads any more icon_redface.gif .

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #24 of 39

What I've found interesting is that in the past, I've been complimented for the taste of my cakes. One of my more recent wedding cakes, they said that all the guests were saying "I can't believe this is wedding cake, its so delicious."

Now I don't think my cakes are anything out of the ordinary for THIS website, as we all know moist and yummy cakes are our goal!!! But is the average bakery wedding cake that gross? Even the expensive ones? I noticed on this website in this thread they were also claiming that people don't like eating wedding cake which would be another reason to buy foam. Are THAT many wedding cakes really yucky????

step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I got married in a castle, in a designer gown, honeymooned in the most expensive city in the world, and had a huge party for all my friends- and the whole thing cost me just over $5,000. I make that point not to gloat, but to point out that there are lots of different ways to get married, and every bride should get to chose what's important to them. I would NEVER spend $1000 on a cake, yet I get $1000 for at least one cake almost every week.

The thing that I noticed about the site is that it is $150 for a " basic three tiered cake". Most of those cakes were four or more tiers, and only a few were what I'd consider "basic", so the whole premise is based on a bait and switch to begin with. If you're coaching a bride, that is the first thing to point out.

The media panders. They will cover the rent-a-cake just like they cover the Filene's "running of the brides" sale because it's just not sexy to tell a bride " the best way to cut wedding costs is to cut your guest list". Would " Sensible weddings for under 80 people" be as intriguing a story as " Have your dream wedding on a budget" ?

Get over it. This whining about the media is getting a little old. Anybody who takes advice from the snippets on the Today show is a moron. The trouble with people under the age of forty in general is that they watch too much TV and believe the nonsense they spew.

Make some standard white bride's cake dummies and give the girls a choice. " Here, you can rent this cake and have your florist put flowers to match your ceremony on it for $150 plus the cost of kitchen cakes" or you can have a cake designed just for you for $450.

Whew!!!!! I'm glad I got that out of my system. Remind me not to read any of these threads any more icon_redface.gif .

really...I thought my point was funny. I guess it didn't come off as a joke? of course they would cover this rather than "Bride cut her guest list to 80 and saved money" yea...that's boring.

I really don't listen to the media anyways, don't even have TV...but a lot of people do. and I am in college learning about why this is that people listen to the media and this is the point that people will notcie. Again, I just thought that was a funny point...no whining here for this little ol' home baker icon_wink.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

really...I thought my point was funny. I guess it didn't come off as a joke? of course they would cover this rather than "Bride cut her guest list to 80 and saved money" yea...that's boring.

My " get over it" wasn't aimed at you so much as the 50 threads in the last month all with OPS knickers in a twist over the " rent a cake" phenom...

step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Quote:

My " get over it" wasn't aimed at you so much as the 50 threads in the last month all with OPS knickers in a twist over the " rent a cake" phenom...

oh icon_redface.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I just commented

"Hi. My name is Jeanne Williamson. I am not only a cake decorator but also a creator of delicious cakes for any occasion including wedding cakes. I appreciate what you are marketing. I don't, however, appreciate your choice of description of the wedding cake. I do agree, why would someone pay 1500.00 on a cake that no one likes? Why would someone pay 50.00 for cake no one likes? Who's to say those sheet cakes are going to be something everyone likes. I would hope that brides-to-be along with someone they trust make an effort to attend tastings...more than one...to find someone who will give them a cake that not only looks good but also tastes good.
There's also tradition in wedding cakes regardless of how much it costs. It's people surrounding the newly married couple and eating of the same cake...like a toast...a wish...to a sweet life together.

I mean no offense. The "green" thing is all well and good but I do believe you stepped on a few toes with the "cake no one likes to eat" comment."

Well i just took the link to check it out couldnt help myself anyways while there i looked at the replies thingy where you placed your feedback and the lady has replied to your comments... and within an hour of you making yours...

Lovely Blogger said...
Jeanne,

I apologize if I stepped on your toes. That is not my intention. By observation and my own personal views... people have cake sitting on the table at the wedding and 75% isn't eaten. Although very much a tradition... many alternative desserts have been introduced at weddings due to the new wave in this generation. I'm sure if my readers want a cake they won't be swayed by my post. If they aren't big on cakes (like me) they will love my post. The purpose of isn't she lovely is to find DIFFERENT things for my readers to incorporate in their own wedding. If your going for traditional... YES, your services are what they want.

-Missy
Writer of Isn't She Lovely

September 13, 2008 10:10 PM

I hate to say it but she's right although i personally wouldnt be without my cake . I have however made a wedding cake where the bride opted for the top tier to be a dummy cake and i have done a dummy cake for a birthday on request and honestly prices to me dont change that much as you still have to put the time and effort and icing into it whether its on polystyrene or not.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #29 of 39

oops and i forgot not to mention the cost of the dummy cake too we do have to buy these so hmmm where are they saving their money.

all4cake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariginal

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I just commented

Well i just took the link to check it out couldnt help myself anyways while there i looked at the replies thingy where you placed your feedback and the lady has replied to your comments... and within an hour of you making yours...

Lovely Blogger said...
Jeanne,

I apologize if I stepped on your toes. That is not my intention. By observation and my own personal views... people have cake sitting on the table at the wedding and 75% isn't eaten. Although very much a tradition... many alternative desserts have been introduced at weddings due to the new wave in this generation. I'm sure if my readers want a cake they won't be swayed by my post. If they aren't big on cakes (like me) they will love my post. The purpose of isn't she lovely is to find DIFFERENT things for my readers to incorporate in their own wedding. If your going for traditional... YES, your services are what they want.

-Missy
Writer of Isn't She Lovely

September 13, 2008 10:10 PM

I hate to say it but she's right although i personally wouldnt be without my cake . I have however made a wedding cake where the bride opted for the top tier to be a dummy cake and i have done a dummy cake for a birthday on request and honestly prices to me dont change that much as you still have to put the time and effort and icing into it whether its on polystyrene or not.

Thank you. I stand corrected and highly grateful no one took me up on the dollar.

I don't think it HAS to be cake. A cookie tree, a cheesecake, a peach cobbler is just as good. My reaction was to the comment "why pay 1500.00 for a cake that no one likes to eat anyway".

I read where the bride chose rice krispy treats for the basis of her cake....another chose cheesecakes, yet another...chocolate chip cookies...someone likes it. I say a bride, if she has the option available, should choose what she likes.

If there's 75% of a cake left on the table....something is amok...quite often it's the desire of the bride or MOB/MOG...someone....who wanted grandeur regardless of waste.....or a flavor combination that didn't set well...or a btb that didn't do her legwork and went with someone who could give her the look she wanted and didn't bother to sample the decorator's offerings.

My post to the site was not to undermine the decorator's decision to market dummies but the poster's generalized comment over cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%