Foam Core

Decorating By deetmar Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 4:07am by bcake1960

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 13

Where is the best place to get 1/2" foamcore?

Thanks for your help.

12 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 13

Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

HTH

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 13

Michael's always has tons and it is occasionally on sale for $1 per sheet. I usually wait for the sale and stock up.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 13

I was so irritated, this week I needed some and Michaels only had the thin stuff. Had to get two, will tape together. *sigh*

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 13

I have found it at Wall Mart, and Aaron Brothers

MacsMom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I was so irritated, this week I needed some and Michaels only had the thin stuff. Had to get two, will tape together. *sigh*

Oh.... That's what I was talking about for $1. I guess I don't mind glueing them together to save a litle $$ icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 13

Hobby Lobby has the best selection. thats where i get mine when they have it on sale which is at least every other month. Stock up!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 13

I get it from a dollar store and they are thin too. But I feel it can hold the weight of the single tier cakes. I haven't had problems with one layer.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

Oh.... That's what I was talking about for $1. I guess I don't mind glueing them together to save a litle $$ icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

OMG icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I AM SO SO SOOO DUMB... I have been buying the thicker foam core board (A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE.) I could have and should have been glueing them together.... @ $1.00 a sheet on sale.... HELLO Lightbulb moment... for me...! duh..

Thanks MacsMom for mentioning.. sometimes the obivious is right in front of you! (I have said that 2 times today....) icon_eek.gif

adflorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adflorea Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #10 of 13

does this need to be covered, or would it be safe not to cover it?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

For square boards i don't have a major problem with cutting the foamcore..BUT..circles are another story. They always turn out jagged, even when i use a hot knife to cut through them. How do you get an even cut? I would think it would be extra important if you are gluing two thin sheets together.

MacsMom Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #12 of 13

I have a knife that I bought form Pampered Chef that keeps inside it's own sharpener. But at my moms' house I used a bread knife and it worked great! I cut one circle out at a time and then glue them together.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #13 of 13

I use a jig saw... makes a nice cut... a band saw works even better... nice and smooth...icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%