Need Ideas For This Sunday!!!

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11am by traceyjade

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

Hey gang! It's been a while since I've been here but now I'm in need of some help! I just got a call last night from my god daughter who just had her first child. They are having a Welcoming party/end of summer bbq this coming sunday!!!! I've offered to do a cake for the event.

I'm having trouble with everything! My creative juices must have been flushed cause I can't think. I was thinking of maybe a book cake... because it's two pages.... do the first as "Welcome Kaleb, sent from heaven above, a baby boy for us to love!" and on the other page something about "Goodbye Summer hello fall" or something... I can't think of anything lol....

Now if it'll help I have the following pans at my disposal.

9x13 sheet
11x15 sheet
the next sized sheet lol
book pan
huggable bear pan
horse shoe pan
stand up ducky pan
and a bunch more.... I can't think of right now...

I know this is short notice for you guys to help me out but it was short notice for me to find out about it... any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Becky

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 10

I like your idea of the book.
You don't mention how many this needs to serve so I'd say use your largest sheet pan. Cut a 'v' in the middle and slightly round the side edges so it look more like an open book.
You can enhance the pgs w/small molded baby, stork, &/or crib and fall colored leaves & acorns on the other side.

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 10

How about doing the stand up duck on top of a sheet cake? It could say something like, "Isn't Life Ducky?!? A New Baby, Family, Friends & Fun!!!
I'm not the best with words but maybe it will help spark your creative flow. Good Luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 10

First off, I absolutely LOVE her sons name icon_biggrin.gif I like the book cake idea. Maybe one page have the baby at the beach and on the other page have him sitting on a pile of leaves or something like that.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 10

It's nice at the end of a season to share memories and the greatest memory of the past summer will be the birth of Kaleb. If you are up on the events of the summer in people's lives you could do a tiered cake with something about Kaleb on top, of course, and then coming down on the sides, things about the people attending. You could include places they vacationed at or just hanging out at the beach, sports accomplishments, etc. Might be a nice way to incorporate friends and family in celebrating a glorious summer.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 10

Not very creative until I get busy, the longer I think about the cake the more I come up with ideas, but Kakeladi's suggestion sounds wonderful to me, I can picture a cake that looks like that. Good luck, hope you find something that you like.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 10

What about stacking books and putting titles on the spines?

Here is a cake I just found today that I want to use as inspiration one day:

http://elegantcheesecakes.com/ECC_BirthdaysandFun_Specialty_3_3.asp
LL

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 10

I personally LOVE the teddy bear. You could do him in coveralls with a ball cap sitting in a pile of leaves. The bear serves about 15, so if you need more, you could put him sitting on a sheet done up like the leaves on the ground....

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 10

I'm sorry I forgot to add the info that it's for about 20-25 people.

The only other thing I can add about them is (since they didn't do anything during her pregnacy - he was born 7/31/08 )... only thing they've done this summer is move into a new house and remodel it before his arrival.

Not much to do based on summer activities cause they didn't do much lol.

I have I think 4 book pans lol... So I'll use that pan if I go with the book instead of carving and such...

I too like the idea of the huggy bear.... how would you suggest doing the leaves? I could possibly take a small 8x8 square and bake a cake and then use a cookie cutter to cut the cake up into leaves and ice them in browns and reds and greens... anyone like that idea? That way the leaves could be eaten by the kids or adults who don't want much and it's already a small portion and that way everything will be edible... I love making everything edible when I make a cake I hate using anything "fake" so that would really make me happy...

Now if I decide to do that I gotta find some leaf cutters lol... Any input on the above idea? Teddy Bear sitting in a pile of leaves?

This is the pan I have literally 4-5 of them lol http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Huggable-Teddy-Bear-Pan

Plus the horseshoe/U pan icon_wink.gif not sure what to do with that but have 4 of them lol

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #10 of 10

Probably late on this topic but when you said you had a book pan, I thought of doing a scapbooking page. Pictures on edible images done with fondant accents. I have a picture in my head and you can basically do anything with a cake like this. Have fun. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%