Betty Crocker

Decorating By jjmom Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 6:41am by amoos

jjmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjmom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 10

Good Morning,

I once again come to the all knowing cake guru's with probably a dumb question. Last night I did a test cake (9x13x3) trying to marbelize. I used the betty crocker butter yellow and chocolate cake mix. My question is this- when mixing the two boxes of yellow cake I should double the amount of time, right? I freaked out this morning and didn't let my husband take it with him to work because I was scared it was dry.

Also, if someone would look at the Spider-Man wall crawler cake on cakes.com and tell me if that if fondant that they are using. I believe that it is and I just want to make sure before I start this birthday cake.

Crystal
icon_smile.gif

9 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 10

Do you mean double the amount of time to bake it? If so, I don't double the amount of time. I usually bake my cakes (a 9x13 2mix) @ 325 for about 30 - 40 minutes and I always keep checking on them, but not opening the oven door of course until they look done.

jjmom Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

I mean the time for mixing in the bowl. Sorry, thought I reviewed the post for mistakes. Do I mix the liquids for 1 minute instead of the 30 sec. and the batter for 4 min instead of the two. That's probably how I should have wrote it.

Thanks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 10

Not really. Times mentioned are just a guide. Mix it until all dry ingredients are moistened; beat for 2 minutes unless it looks like it needs to be mixed more - probably another 30-60 seconds.

Mixing a bit longer will not make a cake dry.

amoos Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 10

I've never actually timed how long I mix something for....just mix it till it's incorporated and nice and creamy, guess I'm lazy icon_smile.gif I don't have time to follow directions perfectly haha

jjmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks ladies I guess I need to learn to trust my gut. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

I've never actually timed how long I mix something for....just mix it till it's incorporated and nice and creamy, guess I'm lazy icon_smile.gif I don't have time to follow directions perfectly haha

Oh heck, anytime I've ever tried to follow the recipe "perfectly", the dang thing never comes out right! icon_lol.gif I've never timed how long I mix something....I've never measured batter or icing so I've no idea how many cups are in a batch of anything ... I've no idea how many cups of batter for pans and no idea how many cups of icing to do a cake. I never add salt in any sweet thing that I make, no matter what the recipe says, I never mix my dry ingredients in one bowl and my wet ingredients in another, and so on and so on.

I'm a "until it looks right" cook, so I mix it until it looks right! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[

I'm a "until it looks right" cook, so I mix it until it looks right! thumbs_up.gif

I'm sitting here laughing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ........Indydebi, this is how my Mom baked/cooked. After she passed away, my sisters and I wanted to copy her recipes and make a book for us and our daughters. Well, most of her recipes included measurements that sounded like this: a handful of sugar, 2 shakes of salt, 3 gulps of wine, etc. icon_confused.gif

We had a heck of a time coming up with "approximate" measurements, and honestly I think she left stuff out of the recipes just so nobody would ever be able to replicate her specialties icon_lol.gif

Today, I find I cook/bake the same way she did....I was the youngest of 8 and I always seemed to be in the kitchen with her.....I really miss that the most icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #9 of 10

dkelly, at least I have 'tried' to write my recipes down for my kids (each year I give them updated pages for the family cookbook!).

But my chili recipe is the funniest:
"start with a big pan ... the one I use is about 30" deep."
"shake chili powder in the pan until the top is totally covered in chili powder and it's starting to stack up on itself" (think I actually measured it, though, and there's "an approx" measurement in the book! icon_lol.gif )

amoos Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:41am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[

Well, most of her recipes included measurements that sounded like this: a handful of sugar, 2 shakes of salt, 3 gulps of wine, etc. icon_confused.gif
icon_sad.gif

Glad I'm not the only one that cooks like that. I swear the hardest thing in the world is to write down a recipe for someone when you don't have a recipe!! Everyone always asks for my mac and cheese and gumbo recipe.....how do you explain just enough cheese till it looks the right color of yellow and cook the roux long enough till it's the right color brown?? And they wonder why they can never get it right icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%