Re: Preval-Not For Food Use-Contains Propane Isobutane Ether

Decorating By BlakesCakes Updated 13 Jan 2007 , 4:00am by Heath

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 39

Please, no FLAMES!! I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just impart important information. I know that these sprayers have created quite an interest, so I e-mailed the company that makes them for additional info and I think it's important to share the company response.

First off, I use luster dust, push molds, and cross-use other products, so I'm not a "prude" or purist when it comes to cake decorating--but, IT HAS TO BE NON-TOXIC-and the propellents in Preval are definitely NOT non-toxic. Obviously this isn't a concern for dummy/display cakes, but for something that will be consumed......

I wrote this to Preval:

Hello.
I have seen several recommendations for using the Preval Sprayer to apply decorative (edible) dusts to cakes, etc.

Could you please take a moment to comment on this? Also, please specify the type of propellant used in the sprayer and whether that propellant is considered "food safe".

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Rae Blakescakes

They responded:

Hi,
We do not have approval for use with foods, pharmaceuticals, or personal products. I am attaching a MSDS sheet for your review.

Thank you for your interest!

Anthony J. Moretti

From the MSDS sheet:
PREVAL SPRAY GUN POWER UNIT
Chemical Name: propane / isobutane / dimethyl ether
Chemical Family: hydrocarbon/ether mixture
DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. Keep away from heat, spark, open flame and other sources of ignition. Vapors from liquefied gas will be easily ignited.
Will form explosive mixtures in air. Vapors may travel to a distant source of ignition and flash back. Containers may explode when heated. Prolonged storage
and exposure to air may form explosive peroxides. Vapors may cause dizziness, mental confusion and asphyxiation without warning. May be irritating at high
concentrations. Direct contact of the liquefied product with the skin or eyes may cause frostbite leading to permanent skin and eye damage.

Now, I could post a lot more from the sheet facts, but this covers a lot of the issues I have with it. This sprayer is not merely "compressed air". Indeed, most of the propellents will be released into the air when using this, BUT you are passing dusts THROUGH the propellent when spraying this, so it stands to reason that the dust will pick up some of the propellent components. I would think that the closer you spray to the item, the bigger the issue. The product is considered a workplace and environmental hazard in several states.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone who had questions, as I did.
Rae

38 replies
myrrhmaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myrrhmaid Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 39

Thanks for the heads up on this. Is is important to know! If I was having a cake made-I'd want to know that it was made safely. We'd have no idea if we didn't ask! I hope they market this as something for dummy cakes...:duh

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 39

Thank you so much for the info. I did order one, luckily it was only $5, but had it not been for you researching it a step further I wouldn't have known. Thanks so much!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 39

Blakescakes,

Thank you for doing the research into this. I had been thinking about using the Preval as a substitute for an airbrush, but now, I definitely will not!!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 39

I was wondering about this...great job!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 39

hmmm, well i haven't got mine yet & i've been thinking alot lately of practing on some dummy cake, so all would not be lost for me.

i do wonder how it is that duff goldman has been seen using one on his television show...i wonder if the cake he was using it on was a dummy or not (i didn't see this, just heard, so i don't even know how he used it)

thanks icon_smile.gif

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 39

Thanks for the info!!! I had ordered one off ebay too.

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 39

Thank you very much for the information and taking the time to do some research and forwarding the informatiion to us.

Manufacturers are always out to cover their "you know what". In a land of lawsuits, it is understandable why they would. But this information will not stop me from using the product if I need to. I really have not use this product since I am not a fan of spray painting or air brushing, but I would not hesitate to in the future. The fact that it has been used by Professional Pastry Chefs , and these Professional Pastry Chefs are still in business and not in jail, then I would personally not worry or be skeptical about using it. Just my personal thoughts and input
. icon_smile.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

hmmm, well i haven't got mine yet & i've been thinking alot lately of practing on some dummy cake, so all would not be lost for me.

i do wonder how it is that duff goldman has been seen using one on his television show...i wonder if the cake he was using it on was a dummy or not (i didn't see this, just heard, so i don't even know how he used it)

thanks icon_smile.gif

You can go to Duff's website and ask him about that cake!! If I'm not mistaken, I think the cake was just for show!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolala

The fact that it has been used by Professional Pastry Chefs , and these Professional Pastry Chefs are still in business and not in jail, then I would personally not worry or be skeptical about using it. Just my personal thoughts and input. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I read on here that Duff Goldman uses them a lot on his cakes - they can't all be fake cakes, surely icon_confused.gif ! Good point thumbs_up.gif !

aundron Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 39

I just emailed Duff; let's hope we get an answer today!!!

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Quote:

thanks icon_smile.gif

You can go to Duff's website and ask him about that cake!! If I'm not mistaken, I think the cake was just for show!!

If you are speaking of the cake he did for Jay Leno, the cake was taken to the show and blown up then I saw Jay eating a slice. I did see Duff spray the cake part of the engine with some type of can sprayer. So if this was the Preval sprayer, the cake was sprayed and eaten.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 39

I was commenting on another thread about this same topic. I use a airbrush with can air-It contains butane which from what I have read is synthetically made from petroleum.
I use both of them and I guess it is what you are comfortable doing. I do use the preval on many show cakes and my airbrush on regular cakes.
Everyone will have there own oipinion about this topic!
Thanks for the info Rae!

aundron Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:21pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Quote:

thanks icon_smile.gif

If you are speaking of the cake he did for Jay Leno, the cake was taken to the show and blown up then I saw Jay eating a slice. I did see Duff spray the cake part of the engine with some type of can sprayer. So if this was the Preval sprayer, the cake was sprayed and eaten.

Thanks for the info, tyty!!! icon_biggrin.gif I watched the show Thursday night; just didn't see him eating it!! I think I was still in awe of how he did the roses at the beginning of the show!!

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:44pm
post #15 of 39

I posted this response to another Preval post in the General Forum:

"I believe that if the dust being applied to the cake passes through a product (canned air, compressed air, Preval propellant mixture) that contains petroleum derivatives or extracts (propane, butane, isobutane, etc.), then there is an unacceptable risk of contaminating the dust (and therefore the cake) with petroleum residues. I'm not comfortable with that, for many reasons not the least of which is liability for an allergic response. None of these products is approved for direct application to food and I don't think they qualify as non-toxic (but I haven't researched this or read a can label to see).

The only really non-toxic, completely safe way to aerosolize dusts is with an air compressor and a dedicated airbrush and hose. "

Rae

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:50pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I posted this response to another Preval post in the General Forum:

"I believe that if the dust being applied to the cake passes through a product (canned air, compressed air, Preval propellant mixture) that contains petroleum derivatives or extracts (propane, butane, isobutane, etc.), then there is an unacceptable risk of contaminating the dust (and therefore the cake) with petroleum residues. I'm not comfortable with that, for many reasons not the least of which is liability for an allergic response. None of these products is approved for direct application to food and I don't think they qualify as non-toxic (but I haven't researched this or read a can label to see).

The only really non-toxic, completely safe way to aerosolize dusts is with an air compressor and a dedicated airbrush and hose. "

Rae

Great! And I just bought two! icon_cry.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 39

I wish I had a can of Wilton cake color spray or Pam so I could read what the propellants are in their arerosolized cans. Wouldn't they transfer to cakes or cooking as well? If so, how are they able to get food safe permits for these products?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 39

I just looked at a can of Wilton spray color - those too have propane and isobutane, does that make them inedible too?

Edited to say: so does my non-stick baking spray - that contains propane and butane!

Most aerosols contain these products, it's how they get out of the can - short of using a pump spray, I don't see how you can avoid it!

Sara040304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara040304 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #19 of 39

Is the ether a problem?? I just used it on an order for tomorrow!!! Man I don't want to do it over.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:10pm
post #20 of 39

Hi, Shirley.
I checked several cans: Pam says propellant (no names), same with Betty Crocker Decorating Spray. Wilton says: isobutane and propane.

There are "food safe" versions of some mixtures, "food safe" volumes of some, and some packaging keeps the propellant away from the content being sprayed (as I understand it there is a pressure build up that sends the contents out). At issue here is what residues are left behind after spraying, so the final intended use of the product is very important.

Obviously, the Research & Development departments of FOOD companies have tried and true methods of delivering food products in approved manners. The Precision Valve Company that manufactures Preval makes no such claims.

Rae

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:12pm
post #21 of 39

I use Baker's Joy brand baking spray in all of my cake pans. It contains isobutane and propane. It even has a warning on the can "Do not spray near a flame." THIS IS A FOOD PRODUCT and is produced as one. Taking this into consideration, if Baker's Joy, Pam, Wilton color spray and other food products are safe to use with the same ingredients, then common sense tells me that the Preval sprayer should also be safe.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:12pm
post #22 of 39

Well, since Preval and I didn't get along well anyway I guess I will leave it in the drawer. thumbs_up.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolala

Thank you very much for the information and taking the time to do some research and forwarding the informatiion to us.

Manufacturers are always out to cover their "you know what". In a land of lawsuits, it is understandable why they would. But this information will not stop me from using the product if I need to. I really have not use this product since I am not a fan of spray painting or air brushing, but I would not hesitate to in the future. The fact that it has been used by Professional Pastry Chefs , and these Professional Pastry Chefs are still in business and not in jail, then I would personally not worry or be skeptical about using it. Just my personal thoughts and input
. icon_smile.gif

Since the info on the box also states that it has nothing that harms the environment, I do not hesitate to use the product.

and if we are worried about butane and propane, then I guess we can no longer have creme brulee or do pulled sugar work as we have to torch the brulees with a pastry torch and some of them have little propane canisters..

and pulled sugar work! Well... I would be lost without my sternos and my big blue can of propane!!

So, I agree with you 100..no 200%

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:36pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

Since the info on the box also states that it has nothing that harms the environment, I do not hesitate to use the product.

Harming the environment and ingesting/eating something are very, very different concerns.

Quote:
Quote:

and if we are worried about butane and propane, then I guess we can no longer have creme brulee or do pulled sugar work as we have to torch the brulees with a pastry torch and some of them have little propane canisters..

Please, when you use butane and propane fuels to caramelize or melt sugar, you are NOT imparting residues from those fuels on the food! Again, not even close to the same thing.

Quote:
Quote:

and pulled sugar work! Well... I would be lost without my sternos and my big blue can of propane!!

NO problem using these FUELS to create fire--that's not at issue here at all. The issue is spraying an edible item with something that may leave behind unacceptable levels of these fuels because this product hasn't been designed to leave behind food safe, acceptable levels.

Sterno is just jellied denatured alcohol--no arguments with that.

Rae

moydear77 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:40pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara040304

Is the ether a problem?? I just used it on an order for tomorrow!!! Man I don't want to do it over.

I have used it and ther are still alive!

RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:44pm
post #26 of 39

Well, since it's just a quick spray to 'enhance' a cake..I'm not going to worry about the DOOM AND GLOOM

and if someone was going to drop dead from this..it would be us pastry chefs that inhale it all day long!

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 11:57pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

and if someone was going to drop dead from this..it would be us pastry chefs that inhale it all day long!

That being said,

Quote:
Quote:

M A T E R I A L S A F E T Y D A T A S H E E T Page 2 of 6
PREVAL SPRAY GUN POWER UNIT
3. Hazards Identification - Continued
Inhalation Hazards
Vapors and gas may be irritating to the nose and throat at high concentrations. Vapors/gas may cause anesthetic effects and depresssion of the central nervous
system (CNS). Symptoms include headache, dizziness, drowsiness and mental confusion. Unconsciousness and death may occur at extremely high
concentrations due to CNS depression. Displacement of oxygen and asphyxiation may occur in confined areas.

Rae

moydear77 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:05am
post #28 of 39

It says basically the same thing on the can of my badger info also. I have seen many people use the badger air also.

I think it goes to say that inhaling anything can be harmful. I just picked up three products in my bathroom that read do not inhale. Could burn eyes.

I guess i would be more worried with inhaling second hand smoke---but that is another thread!

And yes the Wilton sprays that are Fda approved do contain isobutane and propane.

RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:37am
post #29 of 39

oh yeah..and the sky is falling...lol

moydear77 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 12:42am
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

oh yeah..and the sky is falling...lol

Or maybe a acorn!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%