How Do I Transfer A Written Pattern To A Cake?

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm by tirby

twinsmake5 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 6

My writing stinks. Enough said. I'm doing a UT cake and I have a pattern from goggle with TEXAS and the longhorn. It's lettering is big enough that I can do it with runny royal. I want to add Happy Birthday ...! to the cake in a similar but smaller font. I've read about trasferring the pattern but I can't find instructions. Help please? Thanks in advance.

5 replies
tirby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

poke holes in the pattern with a straight pin. Going along the writing. Or outlines. Does that make sence.
So when you turn the paper over and look at the back it has a lot of little prickels poking out. This will leave a pattern on your icing. Just lay the pattern on the cake a GENTLY rub over the holes.

Did that help?

millermom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 6

You can also trace the pattern backwards onto waxed paper with piping gel, then turn it over onto the cake. This makes your template to trace with frosting.

kakeladi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 6

Piping jel does work but sometimes is difficult to see. You can do basically the same thing w/royal icing......If you do it on a piece of clear plastic it will become a 'perment' press for use....will last thru maybe a couple of dozen uses.

twinsmake5 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #5 of 6

Thanks - I'll try those ideas. What I read a while back was that there is a non-toxic pencil - but I don't know how to use it. I don't even know where to find one. Anyone know about that?

tirby Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 6

I dont know about the pencil. I've never even heard of it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%