Salt Dough Ornaments Question????

Lounge By Pearl70 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm by Pearl70

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 12

does anyone here do salt dough ornaments? if so can you tell me if i can store the dough in an airtight container?
I am wanting to do this for christmas with my boys,and thought i would see if anyone can share tips with me.
thanks Pearl

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 12

I make them just about every year with my kids!!! We wrap them up in paper towels (once they're dried) and then put them in a tupperware container and I've had some for like 8 yrs. now and they're exactlly like they were. You could always go a step further and actually spray them with a clear varnish.

Have you ever tried making the cinammon ornaments .......mmmmm....they make your house smell wonderful at the holidays!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 12

2 cups baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups cold water

Stir together the baking soda and the cornstarch in a saucepan until it is all mixed up. Add the water and mix it again. cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture looks like moist mashed potatoes. Carefully pour it onto waxed paper and cover with a damp cloth. Allow the dough to cool. Roll out to desired thickness and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Air dry to harden.

Here is another recipe that makes awesome ornaments.........we actually prefer these to the salt,flour,water ones........these ones get super smooth like porcelain or ceramic when it's done.....very nice to work with and you can either air dry them for a couple days flipping them over as needed or stick them in a low oven (like 250 degrees) for a couple hours until they're rock hard but they won't obtain any color..they paint up really easily too!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 12

acrylic paint is the best paint to use on them and build up a few coats of varnish on them too, makes them last years.

You can sand them for fine detail and smoothing using a fine grit paper.

If you are drying them in the oven you know they are done when they sound really hollow.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 12

I can't wait to do these! My parents made us name ornaments when we were little and I never did make them for my son. He is 11 and would still like one I think. Thanks for posting the recipe!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #6 of 12

I think I read your question differently. Are you asking if you can store the dough before you make the ornaments? Yes you can. I always made it for my own kids and my students to play with. I placed it in a zip lock bag and then a rubbermaid type container. It lasted quite a long time.

Pearl70 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 12

sorry it took me so long to get back to this board.My computer crashed and just now getting things back together.

KHalstead
Thanks for the recipe, I made the salt flour mixture and it was a little tan color to it. Which I did not like but I think I will try your recipe with baking soda/cornstarch.
After it cools can it be stored in a ziplock bag?
Can I add color to the mix instead of painting them?

Pearl70 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 12

here are my results with salt dough
LL

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl70

Can I add color to the mix instead of painting them?

I make homemade play-doh often and I mix koolaid packets in with the water and dissolve it before I mix the water together with the dry ingredients. It colors really well that way (versus adding the packet of koolaid in with the dry) and smells great. I don't see any reason why coloring the dough before hand wouldn't work.

Pearl70 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:40am
post #10 of 12

that sounds like a good idea with the koolaid.Do you use the salt dough or the baking soda/cornstarch mix?

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:50am
post #11 of 12

pearl70 I love your ornaments they turned out great and so cute!

Pearl70 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

pearl70 I love your ornaments they turned out great and so cute!

Thank you for the comment, I am making up some to sit up a booth for our school carnival in the late fall. I am having so much fun making these.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%