Advice On Baking Time

Decorating By petiteleit Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 2:05am by petiteleit

petiteleit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiteleit Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:48am
post #1 of 4

Hi all - apologies for such a newbie question, but I am having a hard time finding the information I am after even though I am sure this has already been discussed...

I am after some advice on cooking time using bake even strips for yellow cake.

a.) I have a recipe that is supposed to be for two 8 x 2inch round cake layers. I am putting it into two 7 x 3inch pans with bake even strips. The recipe says to cook for about 23 minutes.

b.) I have a recipe that makes two 10 x 2inch round cake layers and I am puting it into two 10 x 3 inch pans with bake even strips. The recipe says to bake for about 30minutes.

Could you please give some advise on how long these cakes might take to bake? Or how to test the cake for "doneness"?

I am such a newbie - I made the two 7 x 3inch cakes with the bake even strips and had not realised that the bottom was still half batter cooked when I tipped it onto the wire cooling rack.

The recipes are from Dede Wilson "Wedding Cakes You Can Make" book.

Any advice or links to a previous thread? THANKS!!!

Oh yeah - the recipe calls for baking at 350F. I tried baking at 300F for the first 20 minutes and then 325F afterwards hoping for as level a cake as possible.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:58am
post #2 of 4

Insert a toothpick into the cake and pull it out. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done.

Alternatively, press your finger gently into the top of the cake. If it springs back it's done.

The cake will begin to barely pull away from the sides when it's done.

Exact cooking times depend on temp and your oven.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:51am
post #3 of 4

Along w/leahs advice, bake until you smell them.
Times are just a guide.......not a hard & fast rule.

petiteleit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiteleit Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for replying so promptly and thanks for your patience with such a newbie question!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%