Satin Ice Or Wiltons?

Decorating By Idreamofcakes Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm by Idreamofcakes

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:12am
post #1 of 16

Can i get some opinions from you all?
I love making characters and figures for my
cakes and i've always used wilton fondant or gumpaste (or combo).
I've never used satin ice though, so which do you all prefer?
Which one holds up and holds together the best?
Wilton's doesn't always stick together like I want it to, and sometimes it cracks. I just don't want to waste my money on satin ice if it the same.
Thanks so much for any help you offer!

Teri
P.S. Does satin ice taste better?

15 replies
kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:25am
post #2 of 16

satin ice tastes really yummy! i love it and its easy to work with

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:31am
post #3 of 16

I HATE making figures with Satin Ice! Even with tylose, Satin Ice is just too soft to work with IMO. I use Wilton fondant to model since no one will be eating the figures. Sometimes I mix 50/50 Satin Ice and gumpaste, but with a coupon, Wilton is so cheap that there's no reason to waste my Satin Ice on something no one will be eating.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:35am
post #4 of 16

i dont even add tylose to satin ice when i use it. it dries hard for me and ive never had any problems with it

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:38am
post #5 of 16

It's not the dry-time. When I'm trying to mold it, it's too soft and it gets all misshapen. I prefer the Wilton because it's firmer and when I hold like a face, for instance, I can put on the details without my fingers misshaping the head. Satin Ice is what I use to cover my cakes though. I definitely don't recommend actually eating the Wilton.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:42am
post #6 of 16

Wilton is so much cheaper...so I would use it for figures that aren't going to be eaten. It is a bit drier, so I would I knead in a bit of Cricso to make it more pliable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:59am
post #7 of 16

For figures I'd use Wilton.
Maybe I'm more used to it as it was the only choice for awhile.
I agree that Satin Ice would be too soft unless you are super fast at modeling.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:07am
post #8 of 16

In my area, Wilton is actually more expensive than Satin Ice (unless you have a coupon).

For figures, I recommend using Wilton. It's much harder than Satin Ice. As for eating, I say Satin Ice all the way. Wilton is NASTY!!!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:23am
post #9 of 16

I wouldn't eat Wilton's. I can't find Satin Ice around here, so I use this stuff called "Pettinice White Rolled Fondant Icing." It's made in New Zealand. I actually like the taste.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:37am
post #10 of 16

satin ice is worth the extra. I have made figures with both satin ice is a little softer but i enjoy working with it. Also if people want to eat the figures then they taste great as well.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:48am
post #11 of 16

Satin Ice for covering cakes. Wiltons premade gumpaste for flowers, bows and figures. I have tried Pettinice, it was okay.

Jibbies

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:10pm
post #12 of 16

I totaly agree with jibbies,I made my first bow and started with satin ice, I had to roll it so thick it was to soft and kept stretching, so I went to wilton fondant, no one will eat it anyway-taste YUCKY!!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 16

I use satin ice for everything

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #14 of 16

I use pure gum paste for all my figurines...they dry harder and faster and I make my own gum paste, so its cheaper!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I use pure gum paste for all my figurines...they dry harder and faster and I make my own gum paste, so its cheaper!

Me too thumbs_up.gif Don't you ever wonder why Wilton doesn't at least try to make their fondant taste better icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif [/quote]

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks I knew I could count on all of you! I think I will stick with Wilton for molding and try satin ice for covering.

By the way do you have the recipe for making your own gumpaste? I've never tried it for figures only for flowers, does it crack when making figures?

Thanks again
Teri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%