Making Fondant

Decorating By Emmalee Updated 13 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm by Emmalee

Emmalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmalee Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 4

I have been having trouble finding a "Good" fondant recipe. I tried making wilton's traditional rolled fondant, which was a nightmare. I was much too dry. I tried making MMF, which was a lot easier, but too sticky to work with. Also, my wilton instructor told me that i needed to put gum-tex into the mixture, to make it more pliable, which is understandable. The problem is that every recipe i find doesn't say to use it, so i don't even know how Much to add if i were to use it. Someone Please Help Me!!! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 4

It isn't really necessary to add gumtex. It is often added to help it dry more quickly and harder.

I have used the recipe on food network, by Jaques Torres. It is listed as rolling fondant. MMF is fine too, but your batch needed a bit more sugar.
MMF has a wet/dry variable. You have to hold back some of the sugar so it isn't too dry, but if it is sticky, you need to sift some more sugar over the batch and knead it more.

Here is alink to Jacques' recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20407,00.html?rsrc=search

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 4

Here is a recipe I have made and used and it worked well, but having said that, I would much rather buy premade Fondx or Satin Ice fondant. They are never fail, smell and taste much better and are so nice to work with. They have worked out all the bugs and these fondants roll easily, don't tear or deveolp elephant skin wrinkling and are just much easier than making your own.
http://www.ladycakes.com/toppage3.htm

Emmalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmalee Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much! I was told the premade wilton stuff tastes terrible, so i didnt want to use it... but if you know of a brand that tastes pretty good, please let me know! I would much rather buy it than make it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%