First Attempt

Decorating By Teena_Marie Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 5:08am by Teena_Marie

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 17

This is my first ever attempt at fondant anything. The colored rose I tried to fashion after the judi garland roses one of my friends loves. If you havent seen one before then you can see what it looks like here

[/url]http://www.weeksroses.com/judygarland.php[url][/url]

Please let me know what you all think. Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
LL

16 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 17

I have no idea what a judy rose looks like but I
d say you did a great! job on thsesicon_smile.gif

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #3 of 17

Wow, nice job! How did you do these? They look so realistic and by far some of the nicest I've seen.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 17

i too.... do not know what a judy garland rose looks like.... but you did a very good job on your pretty roses..

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 17

I don't know what kind of rose you are speaking of either but you did a great job these are very pretty.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #6 of 17

I had to look up the rose online. Yours are very pretty! Lovely job.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #7 of 17

very pretty

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #8 of 17

I tried to follow the tutorial about the 5 petal roses that aine2 had up. I appear to have a slightly different cutter then her so I had to make minor adjustments. for the judi garland rose i did the cone and first layer of petals in golden yellow, the second in orange, and the third layer in no taste red. Thanks so much for the nice things you all said! I really appreciate it and it encourages me to keep trying.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #9 of 17

I love Judy Garland roses and yours looks really good.

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #10 of 17

I decided to attach a picture of the judy gardland rose since my link didnt work.. i got it off of the website i tried to post earlier.
LL

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:00am
post #11 of 17

I think your roses are fantastic too! I know that thinning and furling the edges of the petals is supposed to give it a more natural look but that always just makes tears in mine. Now that I see how wonderful yours are, and how real they look, without any apparent furling...I think I'm going to try yours! Which cutter do you have?

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #12 of 17

I have the five petal cutter that was in the course three kit. I havent started course three yet, but couldnt wait to attempt it. lol. i noticed that aine2's cutter cut the petals closer to the center a bit. so i cut it with the cutter then grabbed a knife and just cut like a 1/4 in more towards the center. then i put my cutout on the thick foam and used the little ball tool (sorry, i dont know the real names of the tools yet) and just rubbed it along the edges gently but firmly. i dont know if that made any since or helped at all.

bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #13 of 17

It made perfect sense! And it really is called the ball tool. That is what you use for thinning/furling. Maybe you just do it better than I do thumbs_up.gif I have the same cutter as you and yep, gotta cut the petals in further. I have a big one, from Gem I think, and it cuts all the way in like Edna's cutters.

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #14 of 17

I'm not sure how to describe this but if you think of each petal as like a U. What I did was run the ball tool down each side of the U first, then I rolled it back and forth across the bottom of the U. I seemed to get less tears that way. (and thanks for letting me know its actually called the 'ball tool' I felt silly calling it that when i thought it had a different name)

bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #15 of 17

Yep, I'm still following you. I think I slide mine, more than rolling. Maybe that's where I go wrong. I do love your roses and you should only get better if these are your first attempt!

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:00am
post #16 of 17

Your encouragement means sooo much to me. I have avoided fondant for as long as i possibly good because i was scared of being horrible at it. But i had so much fun with these I think I'm hooked!

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #17 of 17

*could ugh, cant spell tonight, sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%