Is This In Line?

Decorating By CakeRN Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 2:42am by CakeRN

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #1 of 4

Ok...I have a grooms cake to make in two weeks. The girl wants this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1018013.html ( thanks ptain for the idea) for her DH to be. I am going to do a 12x18 2 layer with the outfit in fondant. I figure it should be around 120 servings which would be about 2.50 per serving plus maybe 25.00 for the fondant. I am planning on charging 325 to 350 for this cake. No delivery charge since I am going to the wedding too and all I have to do is hand it over to the wedding planner when I get to the hotel. Do you think that is too much or just right. She doesn't care what flavor as long as it is not chocolate. I thought about doing a lemon poppy seed with lemon filling between the layers. Her wedding cake is Buttercream flavored cake and also Red velvet cake. So I wanted something just a bit different for people to eat. Thought about Carrot cake but that is a lot of work and I am using IndyDebs facilitiy to do this cake so I don't want to create a total disaster in her kitchen. icon_redface.gif

Tell me what you think about the price. I need to let her know this weekend so her mom can pay for it.

The place she is getting her wedding cake wanted to charge 1000 for the grooms cake shaped as a horseshoe for the Indy Colts. She thought that was way to much especially since she is already paying 2 grand for the wedding cake. The girl told me as long as it was less than 1000 dollars her mom would think it was a bargain.....I work with this girl too and she is a hoot!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #2 of 4

I think you only get 109 from the 4" tall sheet cake. Then you probably want 2 mini doll skirt cakes for the boobs....only another 4-6 servings.
I'd say you could go closer to $400...considering the fondant used.
I like your idea of lemon cake.....
Other choises could be butter pecan w/bavarian
lemon w/raspberry fill; or apple cinnamon w/apple fill.

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 4

I would go to $3.00 per serving and then your extra charge for fondant and I think she is still getting a bargin.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for the input. I keep thinking..." oh Gosh I am chargin to much! " you know the scenario that goes on in your head..." am I good enough" " oh crap..what have I got my self into" etc, etc....

On the Butter pecan/bavarian filling...do you have a recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%