Do You Have Any Weird Baking Superstitions?

Decorating By 282513 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 1:31am by GenGen

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 9

OK, I know that this is going to sound crazy, but I hate to bake on both racks. I feel that my things won't come out the same! Does anybody else have crazy thoughts like this?

8 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 9

I KNOW things don't come out the same in my oven if I use both racks - there is a temperature difference in my oven!

I find that whenever I bake something during that time of the month, it's never quite as good as at other times, and things inevitably go wrong somehow with the decoration. I'm sure it must be a hormonal thing!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 9

I will not make icing on rainy days!! Never turns out!!

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with baking on both racks I wont do it either!! And when I have two pans on the same rack...I have to make sure that they are perfectly spaced and NOT touching each other or the sides or the back!! And I wont make my icing until my cake is ready to be decorated?? Don't ask why! I just wont!! And I will only make my icing with my stand mixer! I used to use my hand mixer but it always seemed really airy or bubbley!?!?

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I have to make sure that they are perfectly spaced and NOT touching each other or the sides or the back!!

Oh my goodness...someone with OCD like me (said in the best cake sister voice! icon_smile.gif)

I thought I was strange for only using one rack and making sure they don't touch....Ummmm...other things. I don't really think they are supersticious things, but I pull my hair back BEFORE putting on my shirt...I'm paranoid about hair being in my kitchen...I think those are the only different things that I do. Some may beg to differ...I'm a little anal abotu my kitchen when I'm making a cake too...NO KIDS ALLOWED...and actually NO husband eitehr...haha.[/quote]

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 9

sounds like me to a t so far lol.. i wont make cakes on days i know will be hot.. commen sense yes but still lol.. i only bake on certain racks like others.. i much prefer to bake and decorate in my own house and i'm muchly (yes i said muchly lol) not liking it very very much that i have to do my next order at the lady's house instead of mine (she lives across the street and has a dog that could die any minute) if she lived father i'd say no.

now i have to say my biggest ... er superstition... i don't like icing cakes i haven't made myself!

make sense?

i just don't trust its quality. could be the best cake in the world but because i didn't have hands on with it from mix to plopouttathe pan.......... i'll always doubt if its stable enough (see above neighbor and you'll understand lol)

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 9

I wouldn't say supserstitous, but very weary of my oven. We bought it brand new a year ago but it seems to bake unevenly!

I will place two trays of cupcakes in, 1 on top, one on bottom, but will stick the muffin pans on a cookie sheet. Then after 10 minutes I turn them around and flip from top to bottom. lol

I put 1 1/4 sheet cake in and flip it after 30 minutes. I want to try two at a time, we'll see.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

When the last cake layer goes into the oven, I cannot clean up the kitchen counter. If I clean it up, and put away the flour, sugar, oil, flavorings etc..... I will for sure ruin the layer in the oven and have to take it all out again to rebake.

After the last layer comes out of the oven successfully; then it is safe to put stuff away and clean up.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

hmm i noticed if i dont buy extras of everything.. i end up having to run to the store in mid step to buy more.. if i have extra it sits in my cupboard forever lol..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%