Confused About Ri

Decorating By bafishr Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm by Deb_

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone make string work using RI? Am I to understand that you do not use the same recipe that is used for decorations? Everything I've read says to use egg whites in the recipe. But if it isn't edible how do you decorate a cake with string work if it isn't edible icon_confused.gif Oooooh, so confusing.

12 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 13

The recipe I use for RI uses meringue powder instead of egg whites. I am sure there is a recipe on this site that you can use.

I don't have my recipe memorized........will need to look it up and then post it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 13

Sounds like you are looking at info from England where it is typical to use egg whites to make royal icing.
I have used royal to make stringwork. I have also used b'cream. One is as good as the other unless you are making Oriental stringwork.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #4 of 13

3 tablespoons meringue powder
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons water
Beat all ingredients at low speed 7-10 minutes
Makes 3 cups

Jibbies

bafishr Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 13

jibbies, I have that recipe and was wondering is it strong enough to do string work? I have read that you need something stronger to hold.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

Does anyone make string work using RI? Am I to understand that you do not use the same recipe that is used for decorations? Everything I've read says to use egg whites in the recipe. But if it isn't edible how do you decorate a cake with string work if it isn't edible icon_confused.gif Oooooh, so confusing.

Why do you think it's not edible? There is nothing wrong with RI made with egg whites

bafishr Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #7 of 13

Because they are raw?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #8 of 13

The only time I know of that you *might* need a strong RI is if you are doing curtaining or Oriental work.
The recipe posted on this thread is excelltne for any stringwork except those mentioned above.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 13

I use my regular buttercream for everything, including stringwork, although as mentioned above, if you are doing very very intricate stringwork, a strong RI might work better for you.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:31am
post #10 of 13

royal icing, traditionally, is egg whites and powdered sugar. This is all I use, and it is perfectly safe to eat. The only time I add anything to my RI is if I am doing construction (gingerbread houses, pastillage pieces, etc) I add cornstarch and cream of tartar to strengthen it. Otherwise, egg whites and PS for all applications... I just adjust the consistency to whatever I need.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:47am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

Because they are raw?

It is perfectly safe to eat. If there is a salmonella problem in your area, or the eggs are dubious just use meringe powder but your ri won't taste as good so add some flavoring and you are set!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #12 of 13

There are different kinds of stringwork, some of them need to be stronger.
Specially for shows...some people mix the RI with gum arabic an one extra eggwhite for a stronger consistency. But typically is used for very fine stringwork.
EDna

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 13

Sorry guys, I agree with bafishr in that I am not comfortable using raw eggwhites in my RI. I have no problem using it in baked goods for my own consumption because I can control the storage of the product...but, I would not use it on items that I sell. Especially in our hot summer weather. There have been too many health scares with salmonella lately in the news.
Use meringue powder and flavor it with oils or extracts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%