How Long Do You Give Them?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 4:56am by SugarFrosted

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 4

Last week a rented a stand for cupcakes out to a lady in my town. I got a check to hold until it was returned, but haven't gotten it back yet. I haven't heard a word from her about her order. I know that I need to send her an email requesting it be returned, but if I don't hear back, how long should I wait before cashing the check? She borrowed it last Friday...

Thanks!!!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 4

RUN!!!! Run to the bank NOW!!!
It's probably already too late - she could have stopped payment on that check. *Never!* hold a check....cash it, & put the money in a safe place (make sure you don't spend it) so you can give it to the customer when they do return your equipment.
It should be stated in yhour contract that any equipment should be returned by the Monday after the event.......so you have it for the next wknd. Most people have to return the tuxes; and/or other rented stuff right away, so make yours due then too.

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:15am
post #3 of 4

I agree...Cash the check when you take it and hold on to it. Like kakeladi said...Let them keep it until Monday. They have to return everything else...one more stop shouldn't hurt them!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:56am
post #4 of 4

Save yourself some trouble and take it to HER bank to make sure there are funds in her acct. Then cash it there.
If there is no money in the acct, and you cash it at YOUR bank, you will get a notice from your bank and then have to track her down.

To answer the original question, I give my clients a week to return my stuff. I don't use anything disposable unless I can help it. No cardboard boxes. I use plastic boxes and wooden cake boards. I also provide a smooth edged server which does not cut into my cakeboards. Most return everything within a few days. After a week I call them with a reminder. I have lots of boxes and boards. Only once in 2100 cakes have I not gotten my stuff back in a timely fashion and that client was a pita about everything.No more cake for her! My clients know if they don't return my stuff they get no more cake. And they LOVE my cake! icon_biggrin.gif

For weddings I do charge a full replacement cost deposit plus a rental fee for equipment. They get their deposit money back when they return my stuff within a week after the event.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%