Sheet Cake For 100 People

Decorating By craftycakes Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 1:55am by hammer1

craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 14

I need to make a sheet cake for 100 people. Will 2 11x15 cakes be enough? Do they make boxes this big?

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 14

a 4" tall 12x18 will give you 108 wedding servings...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 14

One 11x15, when cut in 2x2x2's (approx 5 columns by 7 rows), yields 35 servings, so 2 of them = 70 servings.

One 12x18, when cut in 2x2x2's (6 rows by 9 columns) = 54 servings. If you put two side by side, you get 108. If you stack them, as mentioned above (2-layer cake with filling) and cut in 1x2x4, you get 108.

I put two 12x18's side by side and yes, my local cake supply store has the boxes big enough for it. Not sure if you can get these big ones at places like MIchaels or not, though.

craftycakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #4 of 14

Thanks. I need it to be a single layer cake so the 2 12x 18 should work. I checked Michaels and they only have a box big enough for a 1/2 sheet. I have heard grocery stores will sell single boxes I am going to check a few around town.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 14

indydebi. Really ?? Mrs B's carries a box big enough to hold 2 /12x18 cakes side/side ??
I have never checked but thats great to know !

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 14

Michaels in my area carry wilton box that is 13 x 19 and I have used it often for my cakes .They have two types one with window on top and other with out window.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #7 of 14

It's almost impossible to find a box that size here. So if I have one that size I let the customer know that it won't be delvered in a box and they are always fine with that.

Jibbies

indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

indydebi. Really ?? Mrs B's carries a box big enough to hold 2 /12x18 cakes side/side ??
I have never checked but thats great to know !

I told ya! She has ... EVERYTHING!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #9 of 14

Yes she pretty much does ! I find different things everytime I go. I was just there last weekend !Thanks. Are they out with the other boxes or do you have to ask for that size ?

indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Yes she pretty much does ! I find different things everytime I go. I was just there last weekend !Thanks. Are they out with the other boxes or do you have to ask for that size ?

The shelf she has with all the boxes and boards ... top left corner. I usually have to check with Bethany anyway to make sure I have the right one! icon_redface.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks ! Yes I know right where your talking about.
Bethany always gets my boxes to because Im not sure what goes with what in all those boxes and shes always there anyway !

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 14

I never buy the full sheet size boxes, they are just too hard to store. I use 2- 1/2 sheet boxes by leaving one of the long sides open on each box....slide one open box from each end of the full sheet cake and staple the boxes together in the middle....hope that makes sense to you all! Then I tell the client to remove the staples and slide the boxes off the cake rather than trying to lift it out of the box...so much easier and less likely to end up with damaged edges on the cake. I use the boxes without windows and cover with plastic wrap [ use tape to anchor the corners ] and I end up with a nice easy to see protected cake. Then if they choose to leave it in the box to protect it at an out door function, they can still display the cake until time to unwrap and serve! Lots of kids cakes go to parks around here, and this protects the cake while still making it a centerpiece on the table.

craftycakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 14

I will try putting the two smaller boxes together. The cake has to travel 30 miles so I will feel better if it is protected. My husband offered to construct a big box out of card board. Has anyone done this?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:55am
post #14 of 14

you may think it is tacky, but you can put two 1/2 sheet cake boxes together to make a full sheet cake box. We do this all the time since we are not a business. We have the half sheet cake boxes with the window on top, you just tape the edges and the front flap in front, flips up instead of down, its hard to explain but it work beautifully and you can see your creation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%