Dietary Restrictions In The Muslim Faith?

Lounge By mommyle Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm by mommyle

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 10

I know that I can count on my fellow CCers to help with this. My DD starts school tomorrow, and I just found out that her teacher is Muslim. I ALWAYS send cake goodies to the class, and I want to make sure that I am not overlooking some sort of dietary restriction when I make cake for the class. For example, I know that in the Jewish faith, a person could not eat milk with cheese, or cow meat with cheese (and boy, do I LOVE a good cheeseburger!!!) but I don't know if that means that they cannot have milk and butter??? Do you see what I am getting at???
So, if any of you could help me and point me toward a good resource for understanding the Muslim faith and the dietary concerns related to it, I would really appreciate that.
Thank you VERY much in advance.

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry, I don't know about Muslims... but maybe someone could clarify about Jewish... is milk and cheese really bad together? I thought it was just 2 diff things together, like meat and cheese. Cheese is milk, kinda, and sooo often thats all together. Think mac and cheese! Can someone let me know?

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 10

Muslims cannot have anything derived from pigs or alcohol. All meat must be halal (butchered in a specific way) but I doubt you're going to use meat in goodies icon_lol.gif

There is nothing about eating milk and meat together or anything, so no worries. The only thing regarding to cakes I can think of, would be if you use gelatin or extracts with alcohol in them.

mommyle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 10

Awesome. Thank you very much! Now I need to find that lady's VMMF recipe. She said it was tasty, and with no gelatin that would work for me!
thanks again for the help!

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #5 of 10

Strict Jews can't mix dairy with meat, so milk and cheese is ok. And they can't have any pork products at all..

Which reminds me of two years ago a local food market had a big sale on pork during the winter with a sign that said, "Great for Chanukkah!"

It's one of those things that are funny but not really. The guy who put the sign out just got a little bit confused.

But sorry, I don't know too much on the diets of Muslims. At least nothing I know "for a fact".

Jasmine

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #6 of 10

Muslims dont eat anything that has pork in it. Like you cant use lard, or anything like geletin. You have to read package very closely to make sure it does not have pork products. This is a whole list of things that are made from pork like geletan. You may want to google it. I know they can't eat certain candies like skittles or oreo cookies. So basically anything that is made from lard. They also cant eat anything furmented. Like furmented fruit, beer, whine, alcohol. Thats all that I can think of hope that helps.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #7 of 10

Ask her yourself.

That would avoid any and all confusion. I know many muslims who aren't halal, and just as many Jews who don't keep kosher. It's an individual thing, and impossible to say that *all* muslims do this or that Jews do that.

mommyle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:56am
post #8 of 10

Hi Chutzpah. I would have, but I am sending cake for Thursday and I didn't know who my DD's teacher was until yesterday, and I haven't been able to get hold of her. So I will, but I wasn't able to for Thursday. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being completely offensive the first day!!!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

thats very nice of you. For baking just no lard. Give her all the treats now because Ramadan (month of fasting) starts Monday!

mommyle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 10

I spoke to her today. I brought in little 1/2 mini balls done up like apples. My DD is the most popular kid in the class LOL!!! As far as baking goes, it's only gelatin that I need to worry about. I was going to do fondant covered apples, but stuck with bc. Thank goodness!!! Now i'll have to start trying rolled bc.
Oh, and I promised the teacher that I'd pack up her goodies for her to take home during Ramadan so that she can eat them after the sun goes down! She laughed and said that was super!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%