Juicy Help

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm by kakeladi

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 3

i was asked to make a juicy couture cake for a good customer (for friday) i always wanted to make a purse cake so i am considering saying yes, but i need some help.
She only wants it for the family, so for like 10 people. how can i make a purse cake so small? and if so that is only $30, its seems like a lot of work for so little money. I have no idea how to make one. I saw the tutorial and it doesn't seem that difficult but is it time consuming?
do i do the decoration in pattern transfer (i have no artistic drawing ability)
how much should i charge. my normal rate for fondant starts at $3 a serving. even if i charge $3.5 i don;t see how i can make a cake that small for that little money. any ideas from people who have been doing this for a while?
thank you
-S

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 3

I know a couple of decorators who don't bother with carved/3-D cakes which are that small. They tell them that the purse only comes in one size, and this is the price. No smaller purses, no discounts because you only need 10 serves and this one has 20 (or whatever they serve).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 3

You tell a customer that what they are requesting is not possible in such a small size.
We are not magiciansicon_smile.gif We can do some things and canNOT do others.
It doesn't pay to do one cake (at a time) that small. If you are baking other things & want to add this then it's up to you, but generally you don't want to be put out doing something so small for such a little return.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%