How Much Will I Get Paid Working In A Bakery?

Decorating By Davin13 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm by DesignsByMandie

Davin13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davin13 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 40

I've deciced to go ICE culinary school in NYC to get my pastry baking diploma. When I graduate and work in a bakery or work for a cake designer about how much would I get paid? I would like to be a cake designer also, so if I'm baking and decorating cakes and assisting the owner of the store would I get paid more than $8hr? I would appreciate the info. Thank You.

Davina

39 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 40

@ 8 in your in the ball park. Some higher some lower. Ya made it through the front gate with 8 icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 40

I think it depends on location and experience, but $8.00 would probably be on the low side for a good designer.

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 40

I think that entirely depends on where you are. I have a firend with no experience who just got hired at a grocery store bakery for $10, but then again I'm in California where everything is a little higher.

I would look on various job posting sites and see what wages are posted both in your area and around the counry.

Hope that helps.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 40

I live in the boonies of California and get almost double that and have earned almost triple that in the San Francisco Bay area. I also worked in the Midwest over 12 years ago and was getting over $10. per hour. If you were starting out knowing nothing maybe 8 but a good decorator makes more than that.

.....and it is super fun. I love it!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 40

I just graduated from the FCI in May... in a bakery you're likely to start at around $8, if you go the restaurant route, or a good cake designer probably around $10 (but just know that most cake designers will not hire you right out of school, you'll definitely need a strong internships for that).

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 40

It really depends were you are working too. If it's a regular bakery or a high end custom cake shop.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 40

Around here $9 - $9.50 is normal starting pay.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 40

the pay rate really sucks!!! for lack of a better word. All the studying and time and skills for 8 to 10 dollars an hour.
how is anyone supposed to survive with these kind of wages? especially after going to school and paying off debt?

tonedna Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 40

Can I ask everybody are this high end shops or bakery shops?.. Cause pay is different according to skills required in both of them
Edna

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 40

I have worked in high end bakeries in the Bay area where pay was 20+ per hour, and for in-store bakeries where the pay was 14+ per hour and regular bakeries where the pay was only 10.50 -11. per hour.

I find the pay to be more either in the high end bakery because they expect skills from you or, surprisingly the supermarket bakeries where both speed and skill are important, in that order.
The mom and pop bakeries usually do not pay as much and sometimes have no benefits and they usually like to do the more elaborate cakes themselves.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 40

For a caterer, I started at $10 an hour and worked my way up to $15. I was hired specifically for wedding cakes, but also did whatever needed doing, especially in the slow seasons. Also, my hours were not guaranteed more than 20, but could more than double on a busy weekend.
This was with no formal training.
I miss the bakery, especially when I'm up to my elbows in excrement, but I sure don't miss the pay and working every weekend!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 40

I went from $9/hr. to $13/hr. within a year based on my abilities. They start you off pretty low, but if you're talented, and more important - FAST, you will become very valuable.

Once they started telling me that I was the only employee who met (and exceeded!) the hourly production requirements, I pretty much set my own wages and hours after that (the other gals hated me for it - but such is life). I knew they needed me more than I needed them. icon_smile.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 40

Congrats Davina.

I went to ICE too!

Where are you spending your internship? That could be a factor, whether you end up working for the place you intern OR you make many networking connections to help you find a place to work.

You mentioned what you want to focus on after school but allow yourself some time during school to get the hands-on that may either change your focus or strengthen your original goal.

I made a whole lot of connects at school and was able to say, "No, thanks," to many options but I made sure not to burn my bridges because the food service communtiy can get mighty small. icon_lol.gif

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 40

I started for a catering Co. @ 9.50 an hr. I quickly went up from there and am doing ok now.

By the way we are looking for some temporary Holiday help for decorating cookies and cupcakes. I'm in the Dallas Texas area and have had NO luck finding anyone. If anyone is interested please contact me. It's contract labor Oct. thru Dec. and pays 9.50 and hour. I could really use the help. Good opportunity to earn some extra holiday cash.
PLEASE!!!!!! Somebody help

Tracy

PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

Can I ask everybody are this high end shops or bakery shops?.. Cause pay is different according to skills required in both of them
Edna

Edna, in the NY metro area, $8-9/hour in a good bakery is not unusual. For a high end cake studio or a fine dining establishment, $10-11/hour is an average starting rate. Some pay a little more, but $10 is the norm. Granted, you can go up very quickly if you do your job well, but you definitely have to prove yourself.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #17 of 40

I'm hiring right now for an all round assistant at $8 (min wage here is $7.15). I hired my first one at $12 cause I thought that would pull in good ones... but she sucked. Luckily she quit right before I was about to fire her. Learned my lesson. Right now, you come in at the bottom and have to earn the rest. Be prepared for that.

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:56am
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Quote:

Edna

Edna, in the NY metro area, $8-9/hour in a good bakery is not unusual. For a high end cake studio or a fine dining establishment, $10-11/hour is an average starting rate. Some pay a little more, but $10 is the norm. Granted, you can go up very quickly if you do your job well, but you definitely have to prove yourself.

I am in FL. Here in a high end job with really good skills you can start in 10 and go up to 20

malishka Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 40

tonedna,
are you hiring? lol

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 40

In my area they hire at about $9 an hour in supermarket bakeries. There aren't any high end bakeries anywhere near me, so I don't know what the rate is for that. I am in Pennsylvania, but in the country.

Davin13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davin13 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

the pay rate really sucks!!! for lack of a better word. All the studying and time and skills for 8 to 10 dollars an hour.
how is anyone supposed to survive with these kind of wages? especially after going to school and paying off debt?

That's what I was saying to myself, I'm going to spend $26,000 to get paid $8-10hr! I worked in Walmart as a cake decorator getting paid $8.40hr just to decorate cakes and the cakes aren't even made from scratch, they are already baked and sent already made to walmart. At least in a bakery I'm making everything by hand and baking, andi I'm getting paid what the girls at the counter are getting paid and they don't even bake or have experience. It seems I would have to do my own business to make money, but I don't know how to run a business let alone have the money. But I really like doing this, and it sucks. icon_eek.gificon_sad.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin13

Quote:

That's what I was saying to myself, I'm going to spend $26,000 to get paid $8-10hr! I worked in Walmart as a cake decorator getting paid $8.40hr just to decorate cakes and the cakes aren't even made from scratch, they are already baked and sent already made to walmart. At least in a bakery I'm making everything by hand and baking, andi I'm getting paid what the girls at the counter are getting paid and they don't even bake or have experience. It seems I would have to do my own business to make money, but I don't know how to run a business let alone have the money. But I really like doing this, and it sucks. icon_eek.gificon_sad.gif

I have a secret to share with you about better pay. PM me. Shhhhhhhh icon_razz.gif

malishka Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #23 of 40

davin13, that's why I only do cakes on the side.
If i would have a sugar daddy, than i could have handled woking for $10.00 an hour. But I am a single mom of two so i need about $20.00 an hour to stay above water with all the bills.

I have found my calling and now i am perfecting my skills at home. Just as I stumbled upon this wonderful world of cakes, I am sure I will stumble upon a break that will come along.
everything we learn & everyone we meet is for a reason.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #24 of 40
Quote:

I have found my calling and now i am perfecting my skills at home. Just as I stumbled upon this wonderful world of cakes, I am sure I will stumble upon a break that will come along.

everything we learn & everyone we meet is for a reason.

A big ditto...

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 40

I am in FL. Here in a high end job with really good skills you can start in 10 and go up to 20[/quote]

I'm in Fl. too and most grocery store chains will only start you off at around 7-8 an hour. Most of the bakery managers top out around this area at $15.

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #26 of 40

I guess it depends on skills..and the shop...I know a lady, very top high end job..All she makes is fondant, she will pay really good money. But her people have to be the best. She wont hire anybody unless their work is perfect. And then she will still clean them up to her style. Make them sign a contract so they dont tell her secrets to anybody..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #27 of 40

wow. I would love to work in a bakery!! But I simply cannot afford to live off of that.

Malishka, I too wish a had a sugar daddy so that I can just do what makes me happy icon_smile.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #28 of 40

I have contimplated going to work with someone in the past as well. Every where I have checked seems to be $10-$13/hour. Even recently, I saw an add on craigslist for our new high end bakery stating they were looking for an "excellent" cake decorator. "Lets make this a win win situation." Offering $10-$30. I immediately applied. But later found out it was a misprint and was supposed to read $10-$13...which is the same as what I've seen the grocery stores pay here. I just cannot give away the clients who will follow me where ever I go (and there are tons of them) and put my son in daycare for that.

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calivettie

wow. I would love to work in a bakery!! But I simply cannot afford to live off of that.

Malishka, I too wish a had a sugar daddy so that I can just do what makes me happy icon_smile.gif

lol..I like that idea...
Edna

PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #30 of 40

This is why I'm going into biz for myself lol... besides I have a issues with authority so I'm no good working for other people anyway hehehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%