Rice Paper Question

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 1:41am by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me how to use Rice paper or what it is used for or a website that can give me information on it

Molly

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

Actually it is no longer called 'rice paper'; the proper term now is 'wafer paper'.
Before frosting sheets & edible printers, we used this stuff to make pix to place on a cake. Usually drawn w/colored piping gel.
Since it becomes rather tough to cut thru it's not the best to use on your cake except for small decorations.
Two of the best uses for it are to make fall leaves and/or b'flies.
You can draw on it w/food doodlers or other non-toxic felt-tipped pens or colored chalk.
To make very real looking leaves, trace the outline of leaf then using an airbrush, spray with red, yellow, pink, green, brown, orange (one at a time; any combination). Use a very light coating of color. The wafer paper will curl up. Cut w/scissors. It is totally edible....very similar to the 'host' used in Catholic church for communion.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 4

And if you have an edible ink printer, scan real fall leaves, and send that file to print. You'll have very realistic leaves, bug bitten edges and all.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 4

Wow Thank you for the info Hubby went on a business trip this week and ran across a cake supply store and bought home a few things for me in the bag was a pkg of wafer paper (rice paper) and I really didn't know what to do with
it.

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%