How Do I Keep Cake Fresh Until Wednesday

Decorating By PattyLen Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 5:13am by BlakesCakes

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #1 of 7

Yesterday I baked a cake for a friend's 70th birthday. Frosted it last night and was prepared to decorate it today for the party tomorrow.

By the way, did I tell you that I live in north Florida where hurricane Fay has been visiting? Well, now the party has been postponed until Wednesday. Should I freeze it, put it in the fridge, keep it covered and pray it will stay fresh, or plan to bake another one?

The cake is 12 inch chocolate, torted and frosted with chocolate buttercream. All advice is greatly appreciated!
TIA,
Patty Len

icon_sad.gif

6 replies
kathybosc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathybosc Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #2 of 7

I would freeze it. I would wrap it really well in Saran Wrap first though.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 7

Saran and then foil is waht I use. It should be fine until whenever you want to decorate it. I hope all is well with you even with the storms.

PattyLen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 7

Would it be okay to put in the freezer unwrapped until it's frozen since it's already frosted? Not sure I can cover it with saran wrap and foil without messing up the frosting. I don't have a box large enough for it. Right now it's in a big plastic storage container.

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

definitely freeze it and wrap it in saran wrapit will keep it super moist

PattyLen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #6 of 7

Heh, heh, heh, it's in the freezer. Once it's frozen I'll wrap it up.

You guys are da bomb!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #7 of 7

I do it the lazy man's way: you can either freeze it first, or not and then put it in a box. Wrap the box in saran wrap once or twice, put the box in a garbage bag, sqeeze out all of the air, tape the bag shut.

When you defrost the cake, do it overnight in the fridge and it should be like fresh-baked when you're ready to serve it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%