Venting For A Moment About Personal Messages

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm by Copacabanya

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 21

So does it annoy anyone else on here that some people do not respond to personal messages on this site? I understand that some people don't log on as often as others, but you can tell when your messages have been read and when they have not.

I guess it just annoys me because I always take the time to respond to anybody that sends me a pm about my cakes or whatever. I will gladly give instructions if I can help. It just annoys me that some people won't. 99% of people on here are very helpful!

Ok...now that I got that off my chest! I'll be nice now.

20 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

So does it annoy anyone else on here that some people do not respond to personal messages on this site? I understand that some people don't log on as often as others, but you can tell when your messages have been read and when they have not.

I guess it just annoys me because I always take the time to respond to anybody that sends me a pm about my cakes or whatever. I will gladly give instructions if I can help. It just annoys me that some people won't. 99% of people on here are very helpful!

Yes, especially when it's a moderator.

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 21

there was a tread like yours a while back and I remember a member saying they were just sooooooooo popular it was impossible for them to answer everyone! icon_rolleyes.gif
Some people are here to share and some are here to show off!
I don't have much to show...so I share! icon_lol.gif

LoriMc Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 21

I say if you have time to read it you have time to respond. Even if the response is "I'm too busy to respond."

LOL!!

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:24am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have much to show...so I share!

Cute. I'm sure you do though. Yes, it's frustrating- though I have to admit I haven't been timely before. I do log in intermittently. I think some people may be protecting their business secrets and not sharing on purpose. And on the other side of it, while most people are grateful for help, there have been times I have written detailed answers for people and never heard if it helped or thanks. That might deter some of the folks that get asked a lot, too. I say, keep asking- someone will answer icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #6 of 21

In all fairness I get requests all the time for recipes, techniques, how to do this or that, opinions, etc. etc. I try very hard to answer every PM and email that comes my way but truthfully my schedule is so full that some do fall through the cracks. It is regrettable but I also have occasions where I go through all back PMs and emails just to see if anyone did fall through the cracks so I can address them. So it's not always a rudeness, sometimes it's just life. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:35am
post #7 of 21

Hey, I know I've been there before...actually Lori I think you might be referring to me! I PMed you...I was on vacation when I received your PM and then got back when it was too late to help you (your cake was due the weekend I got home). I kept forgetting to catch up with the PMs I receieved during vacation. I have since bought a laptop to keep me from getting too far behind in the future, with any emails whether from CC or my cake business or anything!

The only other time I drag my feet is that sometimes I have alot of requests for the same cake...I really need to type and save some sort of explanation for certain cakes so I can just copy and paste I think. I get lazy, and only want to type an instruction once. Just like I only want to do a cake type once! (If someone orders a cake I already have on my website I'm like "Awww man not again." Short attention span!)

No excuses...I'm guilty....truly though, I do try to reply to every PM. I just got behind this summer over vacation and didn't catch back up when I got back, its been pretty busy.

LoriMc Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #8 of 21

I'm sorry maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight! Kitagirl it isn't you!! icon_redface.gif See now I feel bad for starting this thread. I know some people are busy but it just annoyed me bc I have seen the person I'm talking about asking for help on the forum.

I guess I've been spoiled by the many helpful people on this site!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 21

Also.. some people don't have it set up to recieve e-mails when they get PM's/comments of their pictures. So that could be the case too. I try to answer PM's that I get and answer questions under photos that people have asked.. but I don't always get informed when people leave comments.. just a site glitch I guess.

I know it's hrad, but try not to take it too personally. I'm sure it's unintended.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #10 of 21

Guilty as charged. I have a couple that I need to respond to - hope yours wasn't one of them Lorimc icon_surprised.gif , haha.

I usually check them right as I'm getting ready to go to bed. I've just finished a cake, or bills, or whatever and it's usually 2am or worse. I scan it and then think "I'll answer it tomorrow" and then go to bed.

You can guess what happens....I forget, or worse, life gets in the way. This last few weeks have been upside down for me and things are just now getting a little better around here. So I guess instead of typing here, I should go respond to some pm's.

Thanks for the gentle nudge. I needed it I guess.

LoriMc Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #11 of 21

I agree with you on the comments. I have seen comments on my cakes a year later where the person is asking questions. Definitely a better idea to pm someone instead of asking a question in the comments section of the picture. I also understand that some people don't receive notifications.

You can see in your outbox which messages have never been read, and I always assume those are people that don't log in much. This message of mine was read the very day I sent it, and I'll leave it at that before I start to sound like a whiner..... icon_cry.gif

LoriMc Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #12 of 21

"Guilty as charged. I have a couple that I need to respond to - hope yours wasn't one of them Lorimc icon_surprised.gif , haha.
quote"

AHHHHH!! Now I have everyone paranoid!! Sorry! lol icon_surprised.gif

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by minie

there was a tread like yours a while back and I remember a member saying they were just sooooooooo popular it was impossible for them to answer everyone! icon_rolleyes.gif
Some people are here to share and some are here to show off!
I don't have much to show...so I share! icon_lol.gif

That must be nice!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 21

I used to respond to pms immediately but as life has gotten more hectic I've found I read and if the response takes a little time to answer I may come back to it at a later date. Now I'm wondering if I've forgotten one or two! :-/

Also, ever since the big changes here, I don't get emails notifying me of messages. I absolutely hate that.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 21

so far i've been lucky. everyone i've asked for help have responded icon_smile.gif

maybe they're just busy. sometimes RL can really get a hold of us. and sometimes they might have time to read it but not respond.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 21

I don't have internet access at home and don't always have time at work, so I miss answering PMs in a timely manner although I think I answer them all.

Once I post a pic I rarely check back on comments on them. Sometimes I can't answer them--like directions on making a particular cake, I jusy bake pieces until I can put something together that resembles my final image of whay I had in mind. I have no real directions or even any idea on how much cake or which sizes I used. I know I am hopeless but that's the way I work.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 21

I'm guilty too... If it's a quick question than I usually answer right away. But a lot of times it's a question like "can you please send me directions to your dragon cake?" Like I just have the instructions sitting around... It takes a while to give directions for a cake that took me 20 hours to make...ya know??

Plus, I just get busy with 3 kids, PT job and cakes at night and there's just not enough time in the day...

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

ditto but i know everyone's busy. most likely most of mine were over looked lol.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #19 of 21

I agree with PP that sometimes you are on vacation and only have very limited time to read messages, let alone the time or resources to reply properly. I guess it is true you can send a message to say you'll reply later, but for me it never even crosses my mind. Once I am on holiday I am holiday.

Having said all of that, it is possible that the people who seem not to be responding are in fact doing so but the messages do not send for whatever reason. I just checked my outbox and several messages I sent recently have not sent. It is like I never wrote them. Now I feel really bad for those people who asked me for help who must now think I am very rude. I am not being rude purposefully, honestly!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #20 of 21

Yes it annoys me also. As someone else said some are here to share others though just want to show off w/ out sharing.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 21

I do my best to answer every pm I get. I don't get many. But on the thing about being able to tell when they are read. Many times I get my email notifications on my Blackberry and I will check the PM to be sure it's not something urgent for that person. But it's much easier to respond if I wait until I get back to my computer. So even though I read it immediately, it may take me a couple of days to respond. So there may be many reasons out there why someone can't respond as soon as they read it. Try not to take it personally...I know I know, I do it too!! icon_lol.gif

It really is a very small percentage of our awesome members here who aren't so freely giving of their assistance. I guess we should just be thankful for the 98% who are! icon_biggrin.gif

Anya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%