Need Some Help

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a baby shower cake for a Shower on Sunday. Her favorite cake is Red Velvet so I'm going to go that route.

The cake will be covered in Fondant. I'm not a big fan of traditional buttercream and that isn't a standard icing for Red Velvet Cake anyway. The thing is that I made SMBC in the past and it was hard to cover with fondant.

I'm trying to decide between cream cheese icing and the whipped cream icing (comes with the Waldorf Austoria Red Velvet Cake Recipe). Which will be most stable and easy to cover in fondant?

Here's the topper for the cake so you get the idea that I'll have some weight here.

Thanks for your help.
LL

4 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Shill,

I just wanted to let you know that I only use SMBC and always cover in fondant. I actually freeze or refrigerate the cake after applying the smbc. Then I use a paper towel and a smoother and smooth down any bumps there might be. Then I apply my fondant, While it is still cold. Works like a charm for me!!

Hope that helps you!

Jessica icon_biggrin.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 5

Did you make the topper? It is just beautiful. Now about the question, I'm not sure but to me it isn't red velvet cake unless it's got cream cheese icing in it or on it. That is just how I feel though. I'm sure if the cake is anything like the topper it will be great. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 5

Was this cake that ordered and will be paid for, or is this a gift from you.
If it was an ordered cake then I think the best thing to do is ask the person who ordered it what they want/or are expecting. If this is a cake from you as a gift, no money involved then I think you have decorators freedom. That being said, remember people expect certain flavors to go together. Here in the south, cream cheese is the standard icing for a RV cake. If I saw a cake covered in peanut butter buttercream I would expect to bite into some form of a chocolate cake underneath, if I bit into it and it was a white cake or something else I would be disappointed.

Jibbies

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 5

This is a gift so I have freedom.

In answer to the question about the topper, I did make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%