Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhh!! Burned Another 1 1/2 Lbs Of Sugar!!!!

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 3:29am by Cakepro

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

Trying to make the buttercream with the egg yolks and cooked sugar - my sugar crystallizes EVERY TIME!

I cook it slow, I cook it fast, I stir it, I don't stir it, I brush the sides down with water, doesn't matter - I get a lump of crystalized sugar EVERY TIME!!!!

1 1/2 lbs sugar with 1/2 cup water - gonna add it to 12 egg yolks and 2 lbs of butter, but I can't get that far icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Can someone come over and show me how to do this???????

5 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe it is just me, but that seems like not quite enough liquid for 1.5 lbs. of sugar.
I use 1/3 cup water per cup of sugar and I have never had a problem.
If there is too much sugar it will burn too fast.
Maybe try adding a bit more water next time and see if that helps?

I always cook mine on medium heat and keep the candy thermometer in (I have to with my crappy stove) and stir almost constantly.

Good luck!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 6

That sounds right - I always wondered about the water, it never seemed like enough, I'm gonna increase the water and give it another try. I told my 10 year old that was my last try and I was giving up and he said "Mom, you CAN'T give up! Never give up!" LOL!

Thanks!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 6

Good! Be sure to tell us if it works better this time!

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 6

my understanding is when you have the sugar and water on the stove you do not stir and you should have a bowl of water with a pastry brush so you can brush the sides of the pot every once in awhile to keep the sugar from crystallizes. This is what I do and I have never had it crystallize on me. Good luck.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

Add a tablesoon or two of corn syrup. Corn syrup will prevent it from recrystalizing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%