Filling Question (I'm A Filling Newbie!)

Decorating By clopin0 Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm by jibbies

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #1 of 9

I have a cake to do for Monday that needs strawberry filling with chantilly cream frosting. I will probably use a stabilized whipped cream for the frosting, but need some help with the filling. I've used preserves before, but the cake did not hold - it kept wanting to slide. I do not have a bakery supply anywhere near me where I could buy a sleeve of filling. I'm looking for something easy, preferably a filling that does not need to be cooked, so here are a few questions.

1. Can I use strawberry pie filling? If so, does it need to be thickened(how would I do this if it needs to be)?
2. Would strawberry jam hold better than preserves?
3. Should I do a dam in buttercream or will the stabilized whipped cream suffice?
4. Should I do a thin layer of buttercream or stabilized whipped cream on each layer before spreading the filling?

If you have any other suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:06am
post #2 of 9

Jam or preserves will both work fine, just don't put in too much filling.

If you buttercream between the layers, the filling will cause maximum slippage.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:34am
post #3 of 9

I used strawberry spread (Welch's) on a cake I did a few weeks ago.It worked fine and did not slip or soak into the cake. If you don't put it on very thick it should do fine.

clopin0 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the responses. I've done preserves with a layer of buttercream, and there was indeed maximum slippage! I think I'll try the Welch's spread.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 9

Good topic... so how thick do you fill the cake with preserves?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 9

I like filling to be fairly thick so I pipe a fairly thick, stiff BC dam around the edge & place enough filling in to just reach the top of the dam. There are some great fruit filling recipes on this site, they do need cooking, but they are really tasty. To ensure that a cake doesn't slide I always insert a dowel through the center as soon as I have placed the second layer on my filling. This seems to hold it in place very nicely.

clopin0 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #7 of 9

Superstar,

For 2-inch cakes, do you normally torte and fill your cakes or just do 1 layer of filling between the cakes?

Thanks!

valnorman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valnorman Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 9

Can you mix the jam or pie filling with some BC or the stabilized WC for a filling (w/ a dam around it)? Would that cause more slippage or work at all? Just wondering!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 9

You would be better off if you have to mix it with something to use BC. Just remember stiffened BC for a dam, fill, place top layer on and your filled!
BTW I use strawberry jam all the time works great.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%