Texas Help

Decorating By BLRA Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm by raquel1

BLRA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BLRA Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 15

I am starting to get into cake decorating. I would love to be as talented as everyone here, but I most importantly want to make cakes for childrens birthdays.

I am wondering if anyone here is from the Austin area or more so Bastrop area who may have a minute here or there to show me some tips and pointers. I am a hands-on kind of person.

I have looked into the Wilton classes offered, but I have two children and no one to watch them during all the classes.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks
Lori

14 replies
Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #2 of 15

I'm in East Texas, a bit from you, but totally understand your class delima. I also learn hands on so much better than. I can tell you that so far, there is alot of people on here willing to give pointers. There are tons of videos on YouTube. And SugarShack is huge hit as well. She does "How to" videos and sells them. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com And just incase you didnt know, Hobby Lobby is having a 40% online coupon to be used in stores. A great way to get started on some supplies. That link is www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupon.cfm. I know I will be hitting them up this weekend. thumbs_up.gif Welcome to the site and best of luck with your cakes!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #3 of 15

Small world, I have family in Bastrop....

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 15

Hi Lori,

We have a cake club here in Austin called

Kyla

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 15

not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of a cake club in the McKinney, Allen area????

ANTNET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANTNET Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 15

how about in the new haven area

kylakae Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 15

mcdonald: The Sugar Wonders cake club is the McKinney club. You're very lucky as they have some fantastic members. Jacque Benson has a gumpaste teacup class coming up on the 16th that I would be in if I didn't have a wedding cake to deliver that day!! Boohoo!

BLRA Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 15

Thank you all for your help and direction. I will take a look at the videos and see what I can figure out.

I didn't even know about the cake club - is it something that I have to pay or be a business owner for? I'll see what All In One Bakeshop has to offer, as well as what they have to purchase.

I looked into Michaels and Hobby Lobby's Wilton classes and they are both at 6pm on Mondays. My husband is out of town on Mondays, no one to watch the kids.

Again, thank you all so much for all your help.

christybuc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christybuc Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #9 of 15

Wow! That is crazy...my SD lives in Bastrop with her Mom. Even stranger is that your screen name is the initials of everyone in her household!! icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your decorating icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRA

I looked into Michaels and Hobby Lobby's Wilton classes and they are both at 6pm on Mondays. My husband is out of town on Mondays, no one to watch the kids.

Maybe there's another mom nearby who you could trade babysitting with...she watches your kids while you go to the classes, then you watch her kids an equal number of hours on another day.

I wish I lived nearer to you, I'd babysit while you went.

BLRA Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 15

Christybuc,

That is so funny. These are the initials of my family too, but I do not live with my mom, nor do we have any family within 2,000 miles.

Texas Rose,

I have thoght of that too, but the classes are 6:30-8:30pm, and then a 1/2 hour drive to Austin, so that would make it much too late for my children.

Thanks for you suggestion, I will try and figure something out.

Everyone has been so helpful here. Thanks to all.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylakae

mcdonald: The Sugar Wonders cake club is the McKinney club. You're very lucky as they have some fantastic members. Jacque Benson has a gumpaste teacup class coming up on the 16th that I would be in if I didn't have a wedding cake to deliver that day!! Boohoo!

Is that 16th of this month (tonight) or September 16th? I live in Richmond near Houston, but for that I would travel to wherever! icon_razz.gif

Also, does anyone know of a cake club in Houston. I know of one in Pasadena but that sooo far from me...

BLRA Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #13 of 15

Raquel 1,

Here is something i found on the Capital Confectioners event calendar...

http://www.houstoncakeclub.com/events.htm

kylakae Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 15

Sorry Raquel1, that was the 16th as in this month.

Houston has a great cake club as posted by BLRA.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 15

Hi kylakae and BLRA: thanks for the info. I found out about The Houston Cake Club and The Frost-A-Tiers (cute name)..both of them in my area and Jaque Benson is actually coming to the cake shop I go to in October (through Fros-A-Tiers)! So I'm super happy and can't wait. I'll be going to both of their DOS, HCC is Sept 7th and Fros-a-tiers is Oct. 19th.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%