Help With Quilling!

Decorating By Muse Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm by dogluvr

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 14

I have a cake planned for early next month decorated with quilling. Does anyone have a tutorial or a how to on doing it? I would be very thankful!

13 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 14

Just took a class on quilling with GP at Cake Camp - it was easier than I thought. You may want to pick up a quilling book at your local hobby store as what we did was almost exactly the same as paper quilling and you can use many of the same patterns.

We used a rather large paper quilling tool, rolled out very thin GP, cut into strips (maybe less than 1/4 of an inch in width), insert the GP strip on its edge into the tool and twirl away to whatever shape you want (e.g. ovals to form flower petals, etc..). Wish I had taken some pictures.

It's hard to describe. If it makes no sense please feel free to PM me and I'll try to better explain.

HTH

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 14

How do you get it to stick to the cake? Just press it in or glue it down with royal icing or bc?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 14

I would really love to do this technique also.. I guess I need to find a book about it

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse

How do you get it to stick to the cake? Just press it in or glue it down with royal icing or bc?

Once the shape was made we used just a bit of water to attach to a fondant plaque. I guess if you are making something heavy like a big butterfly, you could use RI.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 14

I'm just starting to get into gumpaste/fondant quilling. What book would you recommend to help me with the various shapes and such that constitute basic quilling?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 14

instead of water (b/c it "eats" into the fondant) you may want to try a clear liquor (vodka or rum - doesnt have to be a fancy name at all either). Use a paint brush. The alcohol dissipates. The highest clear alcohol concentration is something called Everclear (found in any liquor store). Make sure you leave the cap on it when not in use though!

wrightway777 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #8 of 14

instead of water (b/c it "eats" into the fondant) you may want to try a clear liquor (vodka or rum - doesnt have to be a fancy name at all either). Use a paint brush. The alcohol dissipates. The highest clear alcohol concentration is something called Everclear (found in any liquor store). Make sure you leave the cap on it when not in use though!

snowshoe1 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm just starting to get into gumpaste/fondant quilling. What book would you recommend to help me with the various shapes and such that constitute basic quilling?

I have a book "Quilling - Techniques and Inspiration" by Jane Jenkins. She goes through the basics of different shapes - I think it was about $18 on Amazon (its on paper quilling but the technique is very similar when using gumpaste. I used her pattern to make the fan on a cake in my gallery (its purple with the fan on top - unfortunately the detail does not show up well). Have fun with it! It is alot of work but the results can be wonderful and as funky or elegant as you wish.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 14

if you watch qvc (at least in the uk), they often sell quiling sets, and give a demo of how to use it and now they have started putting the video clips online, with the item for sale, so maybe youd find something there to help?
xx

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 14

can someone tell me what is "quilling"...thanks...

wrightway777 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

can someone tell me what is "quilling"...thanks...

Heres a few places that you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling
(so you get the basic idea)

http://quilling.blogspot.com/2006/08/weddings-and-cake.html
nice blog

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-837443.html
Heres a cute cake on CC...tip you will need to roll your gumpaste thinner than this pic if you want to do detailed type quilling (ex. reproducing some of the projects in the next link)

http://www.quilledcreations.com/quillinggallery/index.php
their photo gallery is nice. Plus you can order a free catalog.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 14

I see....I've seen these pretty designs, but never knew what it was called...thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%