Is A 325 Watt Kitchen Aid Strong Enough To Make Mmf?

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm by saramachen

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 13

I just dont want to burn out a motor making this stuff haha.

12 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 13

I do mine by hand because whenever I tried with my KA mixer it makes a sound I don't like, that stuff is tuff on a mixer. JMO

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 13

When I started using Toba Garrett's recipe for fondant, I decided to mix it by hand. Even if my mixers could handle it, I am afraid it would wear them out faster. I have a KA and a Viking. The Viking is approx. 1000 watts, and I still feel the need to protect it. My poor KA struggled and made a horrible noise that told me to not try that again.

-Debbie B.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 13

The beginning of my Fondant Obsession was the beginning of the end of my Kitchen aid. It only made one batch then died and it was onyl 6 months old. I purchased the Viking...I LOVE THAT THING..i didnt get the 1000 watt....the 700 watt is good enough!! Worth every penny!

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you for your input, I just bought a kitchen aid and dont want to ruin it so by hand it is haha

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 13

I don't use Kitchenaid but I have Kenwoods and my smallest is a 700 watt and it will make fondant but doesn't like to.

I am curious about the attraction to Kitchenaid as they seem more expensive and offer less wattage for your money!

Is it just purely how they look that attracts most bakers as opposed to function?

My last Kenwood was older than me, my grandmother bought it shortly after getting married it had an even higher wattage and lasted a lifetime!

debster Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 13

The reason I go with KA is because it's half the price for what I see the Vikings and the Deloungi for. I paid 299.00 for my 6qt and when I see the others they are like 700.00 for the 7qt Am I looking in the wrong place? I want a bigger bowl yet. I love the 6qt but would like it bigger. My 4qt I barley use too small and the 5 qt is ok. Yeah I have Daddy , Momma and Baby KA's they haven't failed me though either.

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:47am
post #8 of 13

So it's about bowl size. See I am fairly new to all this and have never really considered bowl size because up until recently I only baked family sized portions of things.

So bigger bowls mean you can make more up in one go which you need to do when filling orders, of course now it makes sense to me.

Here our mixers motors range in size but the bowls are all about the same size. I have extra mixer bowls but I am still having to make up multiple loads of batter or whatever I am making.

Now I know why the U.S recipes are always so enormous in volume.

Thanks for this insight you have made me think about something I have not picked up on yet and obviously need to think about.

Just one more thing, if you are making more batter due to bigger bowls does that mean that you are having batter waiting around to be cooked assuming you only have normal sized ovens?

How does that affect a batter that has had whites folded in as the key to this type of batter is getting the batter into the oven asap?

Sorry it is not my intention to hijack this thread.

debster Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #9 of 13

I have a single gas oven with a double rack and a double electric so the pans keep moving in and out.

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:17am
post #10 of 13

Do the batters not deflate while sitting around though, sorry apologies for so many questions and unintentionally hijacking.

I have a double oven but would be nervous of batter sitting around as I bake from scratch and would worry that the batters would deflate but this obviously must not be a problem?

We were always taught that the reason folding whites into a batter was the last thing you did was because it is vital to get it into the oven straight away before deflating.

debster Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #11 of 13

Banba on occasion I have had my batter rise bit it didn't interfer with the cake, now if it was gonna be a long period I'd refrigerate it. HTH

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #12 of 13

I have a 325 watt KA and it is not powerful enough for MMF. Though I do use it to mix my mmf in the beginning and when I see it start to struggle, i remove the mmf and knead it. This helps to keep the mess to a minimum.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 13

I made a batch of Rhonda Ultimate MMF (recipe on CC) in my 475w KA was great. I started with the paddle and switched to the dough hook when I had 5 cups of ps mixed up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%