First Wedding Cake, Does It Look Okay?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm by mama5kiddos

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:05am
post #1 of 6

I am just nervous! This is my first wedding cake order, due tomorrow...and they ordered it on Thursday (yes 2 days notice~!) they were VERY thankful I was able to pull this off (their other option at this point was a sheet cake from the store!). They arent picky at all, I only charged them $135, and they basically said "whatever" is fine. (12" round, 8" square)

As I was buying the cake board covering supplies, I thought I would use the same color as the scrolls they requested...hot pink. After I have started putting the cake together, I realized this might just "look" more like a b-day cake!

Does the cake board LOOK OKAY with the cake? Or do wedding cakes usually have a foil covered board?

They requested the top tier to be plain white, they have ribbon they are going to attach on site. I still think it is TOO plain though, if they dont have a cake topper should I add more scroll work to the top? Also, do you think I have enough scrolls or should I add some on the top of the bottom tier as well? What would you do?
LL

5 replies
MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

I think it looks great! icon_smile.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 6

I think your cake looks just beautiful.

I don't think you need to do anymore work on it as the client is taking care of the topper so you have done your part.

Plus they gave you insufficient notice so nothing could have been discussed in any great detail.

You pulled a lovely wedding cake out of thin air for these people practically so it should look 110 percent perfect to them if you ask me!

It looks lovely to me and it should to you too, stop fretting, we are our own worst critics, which has a tendency to make us a little unhappy with our creations even when they are just fine, enjoy it!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 6

Beautiful cake!!! great job!

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #5 of 6

looks pretty good to me..
the board matches the pink scrols..
awsome job icon_biggrin.gif

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the encouraging comments! I added a few more scrolls, and since it looked SO plain (plus I wanted a better portfolio pic) on the top tier, I added matching white scrolls...

When they picked it up I asked about the "topper" they said they were going to put flowers, along with the hot pink ribbon around the top tier. Since it will look more "wedding" once it has the finishing touches on it, should I ask for a pic of it once they are done? It just doesnt look finished enough for me to put on my portfolio as a WEDDING cake. LOL.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%