Using Dream Whip In White Icing

Baking By tex8798 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm by likitiki

tex8798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tex8798 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 14

anyone use dream whip in white cake mix? If you do.. do you avoid whe egg yolk to keep the cake white?

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 14

I just started doing this a few weeks ago. Luv the effect it has on my cakes! I never put yolks in my white cakes anyway, so no, I don't add the yolk.

For chocolate cake mixes, yes I add the whole egg.

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 14

How much do you add per mix?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 14

Interesting! Indydebi - I use the Dream Whip in my buttercream as per your recipe, but I have never tried it in a cake mix. What's the effect? Does the ingredient list change if you add it to a mix? Sounds like it's worth a try!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I just started doing this a few weeks ago. Luv the effect it has on my cakes! I never put yolks in my white cakes anyway, so no, I don't add the yolk.

For chocolate cake mixes, yes I add the whole egg.

What is the effect? And how much do you use? I've heard of dream whip in icing, but never in cake. Wow, the things we learn on this site thumbs_up.gif !

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #6 of 14

I remember seeing this the other day somewhere. I actually think it was on a cake mix box. ?????

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 14

Actually, the dream whip box itself has a recipe on it to make "Dream Cake". Kraft advertises how it makes the cake rise higher, taste better.

I find the texture is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Hardly any airholes at all .... when I trim the cakes, the cake texture looks like freshly fallen snow. Gorgeous!!!!!!!

I usually add one envelope per cake mix, but sometimes I fudge it. If I throw 10 cake mixes in the mixing bowl, I'll use 8 envelopes (that's two boxes) of Dream Whip just because I'm to the point of "ehh! That's enough!" icon_lol.gif

(Told ya ... I"m a "till it looks right" cook!)

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 14

indydebi - do you just add it on top of all of the other ingredients without adjusting their amounts?

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 14

I find it is quite expensive which would add to the cost of the ingredients tremendously. Is it that much better that it is worth the extra cost over a box of pudding mix? Do you add pudding mix also?
I love it in buttercreme.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

I find it is quite expensive which would add to the cost of the ingredients tremendously. Is it that much better that it is worth the extra cost over a box of pudding mix? Do you add pudding mix also?
I love it in buttercreme.

Winter, yes, I just add one envelope of dream whip plus one egg.

Addietx, I buy the large box at less than $4 a box and there are 4 envelopes in there. That's less than $1 per envelope. For a cake to serve 100, I use 6 or 7 cake mixes, so that's about an extra six bucks for a cake for 100, or six cents increase per serving.

I made a cake with the add-pudding-and-an-extra-egg thing and sent it in to work with hubby to my official taste testers. They told me NEVER to do that again .... it was AWFUL!! So is Dream Whip worth the cost over pudding? You betcha!!!! thumbs_up.gif (and how much cheaper is a box of pudding compared to under $1 for an envelope of dream whip?)

likitiki Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you for clarifying!
One more question, does the cake have more of a fluffy texture or is is what you would call dense (like the WASC)?

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 14

I combined the cake mix extender with the dream pudding cake with amazing results. I get the great texture indydebi mentioned and the extra batter. My official tastes testers told me to stop trying other recipies, this was perfect.

1 mix
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 package dream whip
1 package pudding (I use cheesecake for white or butter cakes)
1/4 c. oil
1 c. water
1 c. sour cream
4 eggs
flavoring

Cook as usual.

Try it, you will love it

hamie

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 14

I've never made the WASC cake, so I'm not sure what that texture looks like, but I would call it more dense .... barely any airholes at all ..... a nice "solid" looking cake.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I always add my oil to the batter dead last. Oil and water don't mix but oil and batter seem to mix together very smooth.

likitiki Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%