Thank You But I'm Sticking To Cake Mix!!!!!

Decorating By DiscoLady Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm by lilahcakes

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 17

This is what happened when I tried to bake scratch cupcakes...it was a Smores recipe I tried out and I followed it to a T icon_mad.gif ...They totally overflowed even tho I didn't overfill and then the centers sank in. icon_cry.gif What a mess!
I later doctored up a cake mix using ground graham crackers and had waaay better results! Look at my pretty doctored cupcakes, so yummy too...apple with mango buttercream, cherry cheesecake (part cupcake, part cheesecake and ALL yummy!), peanut butter with chocolate ganache and peanut butter with peanut butter icing (YOWZA!), and banana pecan with cinnamon buttercream.
LL
LL

16 replies
valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 17

YUMMY!

I tried a scratch recipe and I had the same results-- I think it was my butter?

Smiles,

val

PS Fedex me one of each!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 17

Crazy messes aren't always the fault of the baker, y'know. I've been baking long enough to be able to look at a recipe and have a pretty good idea what the result will be, but the first few times you do it, you presume that because it was a published recipe, it's a balanced recipe...and not all bad recipes are online, lots of 'em are in cook books that have been around for ages icon_wink.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 17

There should be a course for redress when you get a bad recipe.

I mean it should not be allowed remain in the public domain and should be named and shamed.

What a great idea for a website, bad recipes named and shamed!

It would save us all a lot of heartache and time and money!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 17

Those look just like the red velvet cuppies I tried to make last week. I think I beat the sugar and butter for too long, it got too fluffy. I don't know, but they were beautiful until they came out of the oven and then they sankicon_sad.gif.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 17

To bad the 1st ones didn't raise right. The finished cupcakes look great. I know I love the cake mixes.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 17

The sunken cupcakes either have too much sugar or too much liquid. My quess would be too much sugar.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #8 of 17
angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 17

How frustrating, I had the same thing happen with a carrot cake recipie that I just love when I tried to make cupcakes with it. I like to use my own recipies but when you do use a mix you do get more consistant results.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 17

My first thought was ..."she put her cookies too close together." Then I was like "those arent cookies." LOL I am sure the doctored ones tasted just as good as they looked! Yummy! A bad recipe is not your fault.

~Alicia

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 17

I've been baking cakes for 40 years and I will be the first one to tell you that mix is the way to go.

Some may disagree. I love doing things the old way but there are times I have to accept that we have come such a long way that old isn't alway the best.

In my book they have perfected the Mix.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 17

Some recipes don't translate to cupcakes well (re: the carrot cake). When they over flow like that they lose their surface structure and then the middle has nothing to cling to and they fall. I know you don't think you over filled them, but you might have. Some recipes bake up higher than others. Could you post the recipe? Maybe we can look at it and see if it looks un balanced. icon_smile.gif

With all that being said.. if you like mixes and can get good results you shouldn't feel bad about that. icon_biggrin.gif

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #13 of 17

it is frustrating yeah i am definitely one that chooses to stick with the cake mix

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 17

I will never go back to baking cakes from scratch. Only my cookies, cheesecakes and others but not cakes. Your cupcakes look and sound yummy!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 17

With the exception of my homemade applesauce cake (OBVIOUSLY) every scratch cake I make is dry! Too old to deal with frustration! Cake mixes EVERY time!

Beth in KY

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 17

Yum, yum! Will you share your recipes for the cupcake flavors?

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 17

Im a NEW stay at home mom, and my new hobby(obsession) is cakes. I want so badly to be able to bake from scratch, but its sooo hard. Box cake always comes out great!! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%