Taste Of Fondant??

Decorating By tiggerlk Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:39am by Wendoger

tiggerlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerlk Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I'm new to this area...I've read many places on the internet that people hate the taste of fondant, however more and more cakes are being decorated with fondant?? I would like to make a bridal shower cake using fondant, but I also want it to taste good. Any idea's?? HELP!!!! icon_sad.gif

14 replies
Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 15

I use either MMF or Michelle Fosters fondant. There are recipes for a few different ones here, just do a search for fondant. HTH

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 15

I would use MMF (marshmallow) fondant....tastes pretty good. Some people just peel it off anyway and don't eat it.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 15

Fondarific makes a buttercream flavored fondant, I haven't tried it yet though. I'm still waiting for my sample pack to arrive.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 15

I personally like the taste of fondant. I think for most people it is also a texture thing, it's like pie dough. Wilton makes a pre-made fondant but most people use it only for practice or decorations that won't be eaten. I personally use Satin Ice, it is easy to work with and has a good flavor, I use Wilton's fondant for bows and things like that. Also the cake is iced before you put on the fondant so the fondant does pick up the flavor of the icing under it. In the end some people just peel it off and eat the iced cake under it. I know that many of our members make their own but I can't help you there I've not made it. You can get Satin Ice from intotheoven.com.
Hope this helps

Jibbies

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 15

Fondant, especially the homemade ones on this site that I have tried, does taste good. It's not the "taste" that throws me (and my family, for that matter most people that I know of). It is the texture. It has a chewy texture that is just very weird on a cake. I am a homebaker, just bake for my family, so I do everything with bc. I can't see spending the money, the time making it, corloring it, kneading it, rolling it out shaping it, etc. If no one will eat it. I do use it for small decorations that cannot be done any other way. But that's all I use it for. I am not knocking any homebaker or professional baker for using fondant. To each his own. Just saying that for me, it is a waste of money, time and resources.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 15

Satin Ice

That's all I'm going to say.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 15

I like FondX the best. It blends really well with buttercream, and is great to work with. Michelle Foster's is great too, but I wouldn't try to make your own until you've worked with it a while, so you can get the right consistency/texture. HTH!

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 15

I also love Michelle Fosters Delicious Fondant. It very easy to make once you get the hang of it.

HTH!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 15

I'm a fine of Satin Ice and I get it from www.IntoTheOven.com . Super fast and cheap shipping! I've also made Michele Foster's Fondant and it's the best homemade version I've had (don't like Marshmallow Fondant or Rolled Butter Cream)

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #11 of 15

you can flavour fondant whatever flavour you like using extracts, emulsions and oils but be sure that you are happy with fondant texture and that your clients are happy with the taste and texture of your fondant.

You can just add any of the above right in when making fondant or knead flavourings into premade fondant.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #12 of 15

I also like satin ice. i think it has a good taste and the texture is preatty good too. im not brave enough to mke my own mmf.

~Shannon

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #13 of 15

I get LOTS and LOTS of couples that come over and say they don't like fondant, when they taste my choc. fondant, they order it. I tell them fondant basically has a bad rap on the market because of the disqusting fondant out there. Not all are bad...

Jen icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #14 of 15

I'll also weigh in on the Satin Ice. Love it! The people for whom I make most cakes are not fondant lovers, but even they like Satin Ice. It works up so well.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #15 of 15

I just got my first bucket of FondX and I really like it. I have always bought Satin Ice but wanted to try the FondX. Its good...they both are.
Like a previous poster said...sometimes its more of having to 'chew' the stuff rather than the taste.
Personally, I like fondant on a cake...if its a good fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%