Icing Warming Up?!

Decorating By holoien003 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:28am by SeriousCakes

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 4

I sincerely apologize if anyone has already asked this question!!

Has anyone had the problem of having buttercream and royal icing warm up from the heat of your hands while you are piping? It happens to me all the time about 20-30 mins after I start using it. I've tried to put the icing and bag in the fridge or freezer or even just letting it sit for a while but it just doesn't turn out the same. Anyone have any ideas or am I just too warm blooded!? Ha ha.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 4

Yeah that does happen to manyicon_sad.gif
You can start by filling 2 bags; keep one in the frig and use the other until it warms up.
Some people keep a cold cloth to put their hands on when they start to get hot; others wrap the cold cloth around the bag -- give you a few more minutes.
Use small bags. Don't overfill - never fill any bag more than 1/2 full.
I know what y ou mean that the icing isn't the same after it gets warm. It does depend a bit on the recipe you are using; also the color.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 4

you can also keep a flexible ice pack nest to you and cool your hands off.
Jen...

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

My hands are heaters icon_lol.gif I take 2 pie pans, fill one with ice, put the other one on top and put my bags there. It's like an instant fridge! I work in shifts, pipe some border, let that bag cool, pipe some flowers, let that bag cool, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%