So She Tracked Me Down & Calls Non-Stop..... Long One

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 11:52am by mbh724

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 21

I did a work baby shower cake for a fellow co-worker & she loved it. The next day she tells me that her mom loved my cakes & she wants my number. I give her all my info but not my work #. & say I'd be happy to do any cakes for her icon_biggrin.gif . The next day 2 different girls approach me & tell me that this girls mom wants all my info again. So I give it to them & hope that this time she receives whatever she needs. Then the next day at work, the mom interrupts my work at least 4 times calling & asking for me icon_mad.gif , but every time by the time I finally get to the phone she's gone. I get home that day & she has called my house 3 times icon_surprised.gif . Finally around 8 o'clock @ night she gets a hold of me. She tells me that she loved the shower cake & everyone has such wonderful things to say about the way my cakes taste. So for her family baby shower for her daughter she wants me to do the cake, which its Tuesday & the shower is Saturday. I say no problem. She tells me exactly what she wants decorated wise & taste wise & it's to serve 65-75 guest. Okay. Then she tells me to send her other ideas as well & a quote with each cake. Okay. So I stay up late putting together cakes idea's & quotes & email them to her like she asks. The next morning @ 7am she sends me an email," Oh I'm sorry my Mother called last night & already took care of the cake, I'll keep you in mind". icon_confused.gif Is it just me or did she not like my price? What do you think? I quoted $110-$125 for fully decorated(belly cakes), filled, & delivered 30 miles away cakes. I was just so icon_surprised.gif that she sought me out that much & then cut me off.

20 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 21

icon_confused.gif Yeah, I understand where you're comin' from on that one. My first instinct would be that she balked at the price. "It's only a shower cake, and I don't want to spend that much." is what someone said to me once. Whatever.

On the other hand...she may have actually been telling you the truth. You may never know.

On to the next!

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 21

Sounds to me like maybe you should contact the mother and ask her if she's still interested...kind of a follow-up. You just never know if she's trying to surprise the daughter with a different kind of cake.

If she really did order from someone else, then I wouldn't think about it too much. For some people, price speaks louder than taste/creativity. icon_twisted.gif

Good luck either way!!

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 21

Sorry, dup post.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 21

$125. For 75 people. Girl, are you nuts?!?

Yeah, this lady didn't like your price. But I didn't like it either-you need to charge waaaaay more than that!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 21

You'll never know the truth unless you ask. $125 is a great price, IMO!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 21

Yup, sounds like she had sticker-shock.

Oh well, you can't get them all!

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 21

I say, let it go.
You can assume for days and never know the truth behind it.
So don't waste time thinking about it.

$125 is a steal for 75 people.

CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 21

I guess your right you can't get them all. I sure would of liked to have had this one though. Since I knew the mother to be, I wanted to make it look so special for her.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 21

Sounds like a familiar story. I had a bride's dad call me four months ago to say that they got given one of my cakes as an anniversary present and everyone raved about it. As a result, he wanted me to do his daughter's wedding cake. As she lives quite a dstance away, he let me know when she'll be coming down to theirs, so I can send some cake samples for the tasting. All goes well and I get the call from mum, dad and bride as well as an email confirming they will definitely use me and I get sent the design the couple want. I speak to the bride and we agree on flavours etc. I send her an invoice/contract and all of a sudden, it's way too expensive for her (she is spending close to £5,000 on the dress alone by the way). I of course had to charge her for the tasting cakes and have heard nothing back. Sorry to hijack the post but had to vent. Luckily, I have got another booking for the day but to waste my time for all those months. Gosh!

CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 21

What do you think I should have charged?

burleigh12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burleigh12 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 21

Yup, she probably didn't like the price. Oh well, let her go to the grocery store and try to get what you were going to provide for the price you were going to give her...not gonna happen! I say let it go. You have to stick to your guns and never compromise on your price! Believe me, there are people out there who WILL pay the price you quote. Good luck!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 21

does anyone else think "filled belly cakes" are funny?

burleigh12 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 21

As for what you should charge, it depends on a lot of things. Take into account the area of the country in which you live (price out bakeries in your area to get a feel for what they charge), the complication of the design, supplies, and of course, your labor/time. I recommend cake boss. I bought it (use your CC username and get 10% off) and it really helped me figure out all my costs and even tracks profits. Good luck to you! BTY, I think what you were going to charge was very reasonable. Her loss!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 21

I think our charges were VERY reasonable. It works out at roughly $1.60 per serving when yo could easily have charge more than double that for a basic cake and at least three times that for something special. I agree with Burleigh that there are people out there who will pay you what your work is worth.

CocoaBlondie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 21

Thank you all so much for your info & support. I feel so much better now. I am looking into cake boss for sure. I did respond to her short email tell me if what I said was okay or if I was to rude:

Quote:
Quote:

Mrs. ***** Thanks for the kind words. It does take much time to make my cakes customized & remember-able for a special occasion. Though it's very rewarding to see the reaction when someone receives a custom cake. I like to use the best recipes & ingredients to set higher standards of taste then grocery store bakery cakes. Thanks for keeping me in mind for future reference, I appreciate it. Thanks again, ******

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #17 of 21

I don't think it sounds rude, but is remember-able a word? I think you mean memberable (sp?) My tongue is tied now icon_razz.gif ,I am trying to pronounce it outloud to see if it sounded right, and now I can't even say it icon_lol.gif .

CocoaBlondie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 21

Replaced it on my spell checker and thats what they gave me to use so I guess it is proper. icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

does anyone else think "filled belly cakes" are funny?

lol that's hilarious!!! icon_lol.gif i would like to think that perhaps the mother (the client's grandmother?) went ahead and bought a cake for the occassion-it happens. i was lined up to do a shower cake and literally on the morning before the girl organizing the shower called freaking out cuz she just found out that someone else volunteered to do the cake. it sucked cuz i was really looking forward to this order (work shower with lots of girls/ladies) since i was in the mood for baking i made a bunch of cookies and brought those instead...needless to say my cake would have been better (am i getting too critical? her icing made my teeth hurt and the "booties" looked like blobs of icing) they loved the cookies though and have since done many cakes. i think it depends on the person...to some it's just cake that's going to be eaten to others it helps create a more memorable event-sorry this is long icon_smile.gif just look forward to the next one thumbs_up.gif

burleigh12 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #20 of 21

Love the e-mail you sent to her. It was to the point and very professional. It was an appropriate way of explaning why you charge what you do because more effort, care, and LOVE go into your cakes. Go girl!

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:52am
post #21 of 21

It is memorable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%