Pricing Tiramisu

Business By chefamanda Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm by dinas27

chefamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefamanda Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing my first big wedding in a few months. The bride wants to tiramisu as well as the wedding cake/cupcakes.

First, I'm not a big fan of tiramisu so I don't know what an "awesome" tiramisu recipe is (though I am grateful for those who do and share them online! Makes it easier for me!)

Secondly, I'm not sure how to charge for this dessert. Generally I have orders for cakes and candies, so this is new to me.
She wants the tiramisu to feed 50 ppl.

Any advice on charging for the tiramisu?

9 replies
jpcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpcs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

This is a little tricky! A traditional tiramisu is very costly and very time consuming to make. I have made it for years and I love it, but it's a real pain to make! I found a great recipe I've used for 10+ years in an Italian cookbook, "Great Italian Desserts" by Malgieri. You can probably find it in the library or online. I have altered the recipe to make a sheet cake for restaurants before - I think I made the recipe a 6x batch for a sheet cake. Good luck and make sure you price it high because of the time factor...I charge $40 for a 9" cake.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 10

Another thing you want to be careful of is the "wet" factor. Because you soak the cake layers it will problably not hold up too well if stacked.I agree on the price increase it has pricey ingredients and does take more time. Good Luck!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 10

Ok I have no idea (as usual icon_smile.gif ) but grrr you made me think of tiramisu and now I really want some! My best friend makes some for me soemtimes, because I hate getting it while out to eat, sometimes its good but sometimes it is just awful!

~Alicia

chefamanda Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 10

I was looking at some of the recipes- what makes it so expensive? They do not what alcohol in it.

taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 10

I make (what i'm told) is a good tiramisu. It's quick and easy too.

300g Good Quality Chocolate - grated
500g Mascapone Cheese
1 Pint Double (heavy) Cream
8 Trifle Sponges - The square ones, not the hard finger type
1/2 Pint Strong Coffee
Plenty of Tia Maria.

Makes enough for about 10 people (it's very rich) You can adjust the amounts to your taste, there is no hard and fast rules with this one.

Whip the cream until it gets to soft peaks, stir in the cheese, then around half the coffee and coffee liquer and 3/4 of the grated chocolate.
Lay sponges in the base of a large glass bowl and spoon over some of the coffee and liquer spoon over some of the cheese/cream mix until it is around 1.5" thick. The just keep layering, finishing with a layer of the cream mix. Sprinkle with the remaining grated chocolate.

Hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

jpcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpcs Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 10

The ingredients that make it so expensive are the liquor, espresso, mascarpone and heavy cream.

You said they don't want liquor in it? It's definitely going to taste different...the whole flavor of tiramisu is from espresso and rum/brandy. I would look into what the bride really means by that; maybe she doesn't realize those ingredients are key. Good luck! (By the way, Kraftfoods.com has a tiramisu recipe that doesn't have liquor)

chefamanda Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 10

THere is a recipe on cc that doesn't use alcohol and I've seen where you can use rum extract instead of actual alcohol. I know it seems strange to some people, but I know a lot of people who do not drink alcohol (which includes eating foods that have uncooked alcohol in them) and still eat tiramisu, so I think it's (tiramisu without strong liquor) a lot more common that most people realize.

chefamanda Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 10

the recipe I'm not too concerned about, it's the actual pricing of the tiramisu.

Any recommendations?

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 10

clearly you have figured out your pricing for regular cakes. Why is pricing the tiramisiu different? Not the cost but the method of determining the cost. Are you unsure of the time it would take to make? If so, I would check out some of the online recipes that list preparation times. Then calculate your increased ingredient costs.

My husband and I also do not drink alcohol. You could heat the liquor and burn off the alcohol before mixing it in, or buy flavored coffee beans (not sure that an appropriate flavor exists though) or buy the syrups used in coffee (torani syrups for example).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%