Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 7:06am by cakequeen50

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #61 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltonlady

I want to be where Leahs is, I want to enjoy this life. How do you do it?

Well I've been saying for several years now that at my age and stage of life I'm not going to a) waste time b) work at a job I don't like c) play games. (Not like fun games, like politics games. You know.)

I consciously do what's important to me - I do my cakes, serve on a volunteer Board for my city, am active in a professional organization and try to spend time with DH. I choose not to do things that are time wasters. I no longer make gumpaste flowers because I can buy them cheaper than I can make them, especially considering my time. I buy good tools whenever possible. I've resigned from some organizations that I didn't really enjoy. I've learned to say "no."

I think that life is ALL about choices. I choose to be a positive person, because being negative just doesn't give me a "payoff." I choose to work (OK, a lot) but I do enjoy it and get great satisfaction from it - that's my payoff, and of course $ in the bank.

It's really all about your choices and you make the choices that benefit you, your DH and your family, and frankly in that order. If you don't take care of yourself, and do things that make you feel happy and fulfilled then you'll have nothing left over to give to the people you love.

My I'm being philosophical today.

I just had a cake kick my a$$.

My last big life goal was to graduate from culinary school by the time I was 50. I walked in graduation in April, about 6 weeks before I turned 50. Now I'm banking $ for retirement, or possibly a small bake shop. temptations . . .

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #62 of 108

Okay - Leahs -- you've got those great genes!! I would have guessed you were a few years younger than me!! I'm 46!!

Tdybear and wiltonlady -- it is just a number -- your age will only be what you want it to be!! I don't (and never have been) party, I'm not wild and crazy (kids call me boring!), but I don't let age get me!! And I hope I never do.

Wiltonlady -- I lost my dad 2 years ago -- I can't say I felt old -- but I did and still do feel 'experienced'. After dad's illnesses and death I feel like there is nothing I haven't been through. Although I know I am very fortunate. It does change your life when a parent dies -- but you still have family --- and life will go on -- you just have to figure out which road to follow.

May I too - own it - as Leahs does!! That's a great quote!!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #63 of 108

Leahs and suzycakes, A BIG THANK YOU and God's blessings to you both.

I will also choose to be a positive person from this day forward, I've let the "number" take over.

And I was always a positive person up until now. My DH is a very negative person and I've let the negativity take over. I've got to get ME back. And I will figure out what road to follow.

Thank you both again for the great advice.

Pat

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:45am
post #64 of 108

"I think that life is ALL about choices. I choose to be a positive person, because being negative just doesn't give me a "payoff." I choose to work (OK, a lot) but I do enjoy it and get great satisfaction from it - that's my payoff, and of course $ in the bank.

It's really all about your choices and you make the choices that benefit you, your DH and your family, and frankly in that order. If you don't take care of yourself, and do things that make you feel happy and fulfilled then you'll have nothing left over to give to the people you love. "

I love these comments Leah -- I also just read them to my DH who is considering taking a different job that will require a shift rotation . . . great words of wisdom to live by and consider.

Suze

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #65 of 108

Hi there!! Its Friday night, is there anybody out there busy with cakes???

I have just finished a little 6" cake with chocolates on top, like a gift box for a friends birthday tomorrow.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #66 of 108

I have 2 cakes to finish - dora character cake - still have to make and color the buttercream and then I have a "book" to cover and a "cap" to cover in fondant.

I'm procrastinating!! I need a swift kick tonight!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #67 of 108

Well I just finish cleaning up I tired this new recipe for spice cake for my tasting tomorrow and it was done. So I have to get up early tomorrow morning and do it over. I also had flowers to do but I got those done. I'm beat. I read what everyone said in the am. Happy baking!

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:09am
post #68 of 108

I guess I'm the only last minute-er tonight!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #69 of 108

No, I'm here! I'm getting quite a late start tonight!!! Ran out after dinner to pick up a few things and came home at 10 to find the kitchen still not picked up from dinner (Thanks DH--you're a peach!) Got that picked up and put away the groceries, put a slab of icing on one of the 3 cakes I have to decorate tonight and here I am!

Quick question for anyone up.... anyone have an idea to get a light colored chocolate icing? I have to do a beach themed cake for Sunday and they want the part that is under the "sand" to have choc frosting. If I use my regular choc, it will be way too dark and look stupid. Any ideas for me? Should I just use half the cocoa?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #70 of 108

I'm up. I'm supposed to be making a guitar. I thought I had made enough icing, but it turns out I didn't and I'm all out of butter. I called my husband and asked him to bring some home. He says "Is it alright if it's late?" I said, well...not like 3:00a.m." His response...."Well, how 'bout 2:00?" I asked where he was (he works evenings and often has "meetings" late into the night) and he says he's out with his buddies. Did I mention that I work full time and have 3 young children and that my husband doesn't work all day, and only puts in about 4 hours of work in the evenings unless he's got "meetings" and I do cakes on the side to supplement the income that he spends on his floundering business ventures? Did I mention that? Yeah, his response that he's out with his friends while I'm putting in my 16th hour of work today didn't go over real well. He suggested that I run out to the store and get it myself. Its almost midnight here and I have a 7 year old and two 4 year olds sleeping. He's suggesting that I leave them home alone to run out to the store. "You'll only be gone 10 minutes!" he says. I asked if he was insane and he gave me some attitude response that I didn't even bother to remember, as if I'm the one being ridiculous. So lets take a survey! Who would run out to the store at midnight, leaving their three small children home alone? Anyone? Guess my customer's getting stale cake 'cause only half their cake is going to get iced tonight. sigh.....men!

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:00am
post #71 of 108

Oh Alana! That totally SUX! No way on earth would I leave my 1 child at home alone, let alone 3 - and I don't care if the store was across the street!

I guess I totally shouldn't complain about the fact that my husband wouldn't help me sift powdered sugar!

As for light chocolate, the only thing that I can think would be to add that Wilton white food color (or any other white food color) to it, but it would probably take a bunch! Would they take white chocolate, then you could color it tan.....

imakecakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #72 of 108

Just the other day there was a house fire where a woman left her 3 babies alone sleeping while she was "down the street". luckily the Firemen were able to get the kids out, but they are all badly burned--there was noone there to tell them there were children in the house. News reports now state she was seen walking up to the house after the FD had already arrived. Have hubby check out news reports for Rochester Ny when he gets home and then ask him if he still thinks it was a good idea.......

imakecakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #73 of 108

janelwaters, thank you...I did think about adding the white. I'm gonna test it and see what happens--I'll report back in a few...

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #74 of 108

ok - i'm going to take a cc break and get back to Dora! I hate character cakes!!

I have watched so much dora today that while piping I'm singing - "backpack, backpack....." I'm seriously losing it!

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #75 of 108

I wouldnt even consider leaving my kid to go to the store and if my hubby even suggested it he would have a real interesting night when he got home from hanging with his buddies lol i'd make sure every single thing he owns was in the lawn, but ive got a bit of a temper icon_wink.gif anyways, im not doing much tonight, trying to fight off a migraine and thats about it

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #76 of 108

Just got done, quite early! I only had 2 cakes, a tough groom's and a 7-10-14, nothing too outrageous.
I am practicing getting done early since I will be in my own real shop in 2 weeks, with employees and I won't have to work til all hours of the night.

I am really getting excited, chance of a lifetime and I jumped in with both feet now firmly planted in business!

Hope you all will get some sleep tonight!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:14am
post #77 of 108

Well I just got back from a long day of work, shopping and movie watching...AND I'm eating Coldstone Birthday Cake Remix Ice Cream!!

So now I'm about to make a million fondant roses for my class....Off to work! icon_biggrin.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #78 of 108

Good Evening! Try adding just a small amount of cocoa to buttercream for a light chocolate. Remember it gets darker as it sits just like food coloring. Hope this helps.

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:21am
post #79 of 108

i'm so sorry alanna, i can hear the frustration in your words. sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders.

i wouldn't leave the kids either. and i'd chew a strip off my hubby when he got home.....a great big strip!

i just finished a giant cupcake cake tonight. i just bought the pan this week. i have to say i was a bit annoyed that it takes like 1 1/2 batches of batter. when they design these things why don't they keep that in mind. the top was a bit difficult to ice under the rim. i'll have to mess with it more. good thing it was a free bee cake for a women's event at our church LOL

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:48am
post #80 of 108

Congrats CakeQueen!

Alana, you are right not to leave your kids! You should bake another cake and smack him in the face with it when he comes home. Just kidding.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:55am
post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Congrats CakeQueen!

Alana, you are right not to leave your kids! You should bake another cake and smack him in the face with it when he comes home. Just kidding.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Nbogdala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nbogdala Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:04am
post #82 of 108

I am up, just checking in , been working since 6::00 am , have 3 wedding cakes due tommrrow, hopefully I will get to bed by 3:00, cause I have to be back up by 7:00 to leave for my first delivery...just glad you guys are out there...I am starting to get in that crazy stage of tiredness....for you guys working, hang in there .....back to work

imakecakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:05am
post #83 of 108

Okay, I tried adding the white color to my reg choc and that worked better than I thought it would. It still tastes like a full flavored choc. I also tried mixing some choc with some white bc and it had a strange flavor. That cake is gonna have to wait until tomorrow night I think.

Okay, back to The Beatles cake for my 10 yr old son's party tomorrow night. It's yellow submarine time. Then cannoli cake (Quick and easy assembly)

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:06am
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I'm up. I'm supposed to be making a guitar. I thought I had made enough icing, but it turns out I didn't and I'm all out of butter. I called my husband and asked him to bring some home. He says "Is it alright if it's late?" I said, well...not like 3:00a.m." His response...."Well, how 'bout 2:00?" I asked where he was (he works evenings and often has "meetings" late into the night) and he says he's out with his buddies. Did I mention that I work full time and have 3 young children and that my husband doesn't work all day, and only puts in about 4 hours of work in the evenings unless he's got "meetings" and I do cakes on the side to supplement the income that he spends on his floundering business ventures? Did I mention that? Yeah, his response that he's out with his friends while I'm putting in my 16th hour of work today didn't go over real well. He suggested that I run out to the store and get it myself. Its almost midnight here and I have a 7 year old and two 4 year olds sleeping. He's suggesting that I leave them home alone to run out to the store. "You'll only be gone 10 minutes!" he says. I asked if he was insane and he gave me some attitude response that I didn't even bother to remember, as if I'm the one being ridiculous. So lets take a survey! Who would run out to the store at midnight, leaving their three small children home alone? Anyone? Guess my customer's getting stale cake 'cause only half their cake is going to get iced tonight. sigh.....men!

Pour iced cold water on his side of the bed nearing the time hes coming home from his "meeting" icon_twisted.gif

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #85 of 108

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets that looney tired! I am done with Dora and on to the book/graduation cake - I guess I need a new song to sing - Backpack only works with Dora!

I am going to post the picture of my cake topper for the graduation cake. Its my first "human" fondant sculpture! Let me know what you think!

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:09am
post #86 of 108

Anyone out there? I'm still up trying to get my fondant red. Had the perfect red last night. I ran out of fondant and then tonight tried to get it red again icon_cry.gif Just remembered I used Americolor last night mixed and tonight I only have Wilton icon_mad.gif Decided the fondant needed a break so I packed it away icon_lol.gif

imakecakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:01am
post #87 of 108

Time for bed....night all...

I just had a near disaster with the Beatles cake --slid right off the tilted turntable as I was drawing the submarine. lots of cracked frosting on the sides, but otherwise no real harm done. Wish I had started it earlier!!! I'll be back up by 6 to work on it again before my son wakes up.... yawn!!!!

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:08am
post #88 of 108

I am having some really big fondant problems - primarily that I cannot get it the color that I want.

I do not have an airbrush - how long does it take if I were to paint the color on - how long would it take to dry?? Do I dilute the Americolor or use it straight??

Help!! Quick before I lose my mind!! Thank you so much!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:32am
post #89 of 108

janelwaters, went and had a look at your topper.

He looks stunning!! left a comment!

janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:55am
post #90 of 108

Thank you so much!! I will post pics of the final cake sometime tomorrow night - cause - it isn't done yet!

I am going to catch a couple hours sleep before I get up and finish - nothing is going right suddenly - usually my que to stop!!

Good night all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%