?'s About 'good' Pans!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm by HerBoudoir

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I have decided that I am going to use my Wilton pans for target practice and 'splurge' on some really nice pans. I need some recommendations. I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death, but I just love making people repeat themselves! Hehehe. icon_lol.gif

What I want to know is, what brand is really top quality, and where can I get them at the most reasonable price (including shipping charges)?

I want to start with some square pans (and sheets), as I am totally unhappy with my Wilton set. But I also want round, and some specialty pans as well. My big 'issue' with the pans is that the sides of the pans always slope out on the squares, and shrink in on the round. It irks me to no end!

So, please give me the low-down on brands like Fat Daddio... are they as nice as they look? Are they worth the cash? Do you know of something that is better?

TIA Cake-aholics!

7 replies
fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 8

Well, I have a variety, and I love them all! I decided to chuck my Wilton Pans, too...and put them on Ebay. Bwa ha ha! Not my problem any more icon_evil.gif!

Anyhoo, I started with Pfeil & Holings Pans because they were a really good quality similar to Magic Line, and I could afford them. Then Fat Daddio Pans came out in cool shapes that I just had to have, and I really like baking with them as well (they just need a lower temp is all). Then once I got my business account with CK Products (CK South here), I started expanding my collection to include Magic Line since they have them at fabulous prices, and their shipping prices are really good (I sometimes go and pick up my items if they're 'heavy').

So, all in all...I got P&H (cakedeco.com), Fat Daddio's (fondant source. com w/o the space & cakedeco.com), and Magic Line (CKProducts.com)...they are all fabulous! Nice flat tops, even baking...I love 'em thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you Stacie!! I appreciate your input, especially with the locations to get them!! Awesome! thumbs_up.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 8

MAGIC LINE, just don't put them in the dshwasher; they come out looking weird. Country Kitchen is a good source. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?T=1&CatId=536&ShopId=38
In the long run it is much cheaper to buy the really good pans to start with. I have had some of the cheap stuff in my younger years- but I soon learned it plays to buy the best. My first instructor- this was pre- Wilton times- told us exactly where and what to buy. Those pans are pushing 40 years of use. They are in perfect condition -heavy, with straight sides; and cakes bake evenly in them. I was "beginning teacher poor" at the time and those two 9 inch rounds took a big bite out of my budget. But they were an excellent investment.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 8

I have both magic line and fat daddios and I love them both. You can save some dough with fat daddios.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 8

I have Magic Line and Fat Daddios--I LOVE Fat Daddios.
Bake at a lower temp (325 degreees) and less crummy on the edges and sides.

Melvira Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 8

Oh no... now I want both brands! hahaha! Thank you everyone for your opinions. It's great to hear from people who are really using them... not just the sales pitch from the person making them!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 8

I have a couple of the Magic Line pans and LOVE them - so much so that I won't consider buying another brand for square and round pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%