What's The Trick To Painting With Luster Dust?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 6:30am by playingwithsugar

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am mixing it with gin and it gets clumpy after a while. Is this normal? It's my first time trying it. Maybe I am working too slow?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 10

Yes, that is normal. The gin is ev aporating. Just add another drop or two and keep going.

LoriMc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 10

Ok thanks! I'm just new at it, and probably working really slow!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #4 of 10

I was painting with everclear and luster earlier today and it would get clumpy and then the everclear would rise while the dust settled at the bottom.

Just a few quick stirs and it would be fine for a bit.

Just don't be a dork like I was and pour from the bottle into your mix and pour to much into your paint mix when you need to add a bit more. icon_confused.gif

I am getting an eye dropper at the store tonight for adding it.

I paint slow because I'm very nit picky about making errors and it clumps and seperates on me all the time.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #5 of 10

I would like to say thanks for the tips. i have just bought some luster dust and a small bottle of vodka but haven't actually painted anything yet but I can't wait to try it out!!

LoriMc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 10

It's not as easy as it looks on Ace of Cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

I put about 1/4 tsp of luster dust on the plate then a squeeze of vodka (which has a higher alcohol content than gin) using an eyedropper next to it (but not in the dust) and use the brush to slowly mix the two together. Paint and add more vodka as needed. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

I use everclear, and I do have to add a drop or two as I go along especially if I'm painting a large area. Like this one.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html

Jibbies

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:03am
post #9 of 10

The nice thing about the alcohol evaporating is that you can reuse the luster dust if you don't use it all to paint with. I always use the top cap of my luster dust as my paint pallete so I don't waste it. I got this tip from Diane Simmons who is a decorator in Michigan.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:30am
post #10 of 10

Everclear is not available in all states. It is banned here in PA. Use the highest proof vodka you can find, or clear lemon extract, which usually has a very high level of alcohol.

Another thing nice about using Everclear alcohol is that it does not tarnish the metal dusts, the way lower proof alcohols can, because of the water which makes up the rest of the formula.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%