Totoally Stressed. Need To Vent

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm by Beckalita

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:33am
post #1 of 16

so i have two wedding cakes this summer. my age is 15. but im just getting really stressed out with the price thing. i dont know what i should charge. i get nervous and then i underprice. but i really dont want to over price because of my skill level right now i feel like i dont want to screw things up with such a big thing. one of them im not really worried about but the other one knows EXACTLY what she wants and i have had really limited experience with fondant. which really scares me. i really dont want to mess a wdding cake up. especially because its only going to be my second wedding cake. also i dont feel like i should be selling wedding cakes like this. i feel like im not ready.

i dont know i guess i just need a little more experience..

15 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:06am
post #2 of 16

Well, I looked at your cakes and they are great...your flowers are so much nicer than mine. I'm not sure what you're worried about, practice makes perfect but if you're not ready, you're not ready. Don't take it on if you think it's too overwhelming. I'm 28 and I'm not ready to do a wedding cake.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:17am
post #3 of 16

Your cakes are great! Don't sell yourself short! If you need help, you're clearly looking for it in the right place!

Try practicing with the fondant beforehand. And when the time comes to make the wedding cake, just take it slowly. MMF is a cheap alternative to practicing with fondant. It tastes better too.

I noticed you're in Renton. There are a couple of cake shops in the Seattle area that can offer some advice too. Home Cake Decorating in North Seattle and Dawn's Candy & Cake Supply in Lynnwood is fabulous too.

Also, if you have time, try to take the fondant course at Michaels... that'll boost your confidence as well icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

Home Cake Decorating Supply Co
9514 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115

Dawn's Candy & Cake Supply
12609 Beverly Park RD
Lynnwood WA 98037

HTH!
Mirjana

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:54am
post #4 of 16

oh my. i wish i had half your talent at my age (27) you are so talented. icon_smile.gif but yeah practice makes perfect. and you can always ask the experts here they're always more than happy to help icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:14am
post #5 of 16

OMG!! Where have you been mvucic???? I have been looking for supply places in our area for 2 years!!! I only knew about the one in Seattle.......

Woohoo!!!

And Kudos to the young cake decorator for even wanting to do this great craft!!

Just keep doing cakes and ask lots of questions and you'll learn quickly.

Good luck to you sweetie!!

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 16

Momkiksbutt, your little quote at the bottom of your posts is hilarious!

I really like the cake shop in Lynnwood, Dawn's. It's great and not too far if you take the highway. I haven't been in a while... but am itching to go! Thankfully, I'll have an excuse (for my husband!) for the next two months.... my twins are turning 5!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 16

Congrats on the orders and at 15--WOW!!!

If you are truly uncomfortable doing these wedding cakes, you need to talk with the bride(s) honestly telling them that.

Practice is the key word...if you have time, practice, practice, practice. As seen on most of these threads, every bride is different. Some go with the flow and others want the flow to go around them with perfection (any bridezillas out there today???).

Are these family members or friends? When I first started out---many years ago--- I would do cakes for ONLY family and friends and just charge for supplies or $1.00 a serving. You could do that back then. Now, with prices going up everyday, you really need to consider the costs of every little detail.

I hope I am not sounding too negative and will probably get flamed. I think you have the beginnings of a great cake decorator and would love to see you continue and grow in your knowledge and talent. CC is always here with help and support. BTW--your square fondant cake is very nice--I always have trouble with squares.
Again, the key here is HONESTY and PRACTICE.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 16

Forgot to add--

Everybody's first few wedding cakes are nerve-wracking and we ALL doubt our talents. So you are in very good company. Heck, I still get the jitters on some (and I have been at it for 30 years).

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 16

OMG!!!! Are you serious!! 15!!! your cakes are amazing!! I have only done 2 wedding cakes and I was so nervous - loved one and HATED the other (bride ordered an ugly cake!).

I agree with everyone here - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. And definately take the Wilton Fondant course - its really good.

My daughter is only 2 and I cannot wait for the day that she is ready to get in the kitchen with me and bake and decorate - I just hope she wants to!

Good luck and we expect to see pics when you get done!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 16

Not wanting to put a damper on your talent or enthusiasm, but... At 15 you are not legal to sign a contract. Do you have someone handling the legal papers for you?
Just want to smooth a bump for you, if you haven't thought of that one...

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 16

thanks for all the advice. i think i will look into that one store.. dawns was it? lol

i feel better now about it all but i am still kinda confused on what to price my cakes at. anyone have advice?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 16

Pricing has always b een difficult for most of us.
Find out what the going price is in your area by calling some bakeries.
Your skill is right up there w/many of us....don't talk yourself out of what you deserve. Remember, not everyone who tries this craft can do it. It takes talent and you - **Yes,YOU** have it.
I suggest something like $3 a serving. Charge for all the serings the cake will yeild - not just what they want. (There will be many times they want say 160 servings but the closest you can come is 175 or something like that.)
I no longer bake for the public so I don't know how much prices for supplies have gone up so that $3 might be a bit low or high.

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 16

Your cakes look great. But if you feel that you are not ready to produce a wedding cake, especially one covered in fondant, then, I would not take the order. Stress mounts even more when you are unsure of what is happening. If you do take the order get some dummies and practice, practice, practice until it is time to make the cake. Also, write yourself a timeline; you will then be able to check off the small projects for these cakes as they are completed, ie, flowers, baking cakes, settling time, making icing, etc.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 16

Great job! From one teen to another. I just did my first wedding cake, (not in my pics yet) and it really was fun, but I did stress out a lot. I have trouble with pricing issues as well. But hey you can do it!

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 16

We have some talented teens on this board.

If you can, do a practice cake and see how you do. If you can't handle it, turn it down.

You are off to a great start and with your talent there will be plenty more wedding cakes down the road.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 16

You don't say how much time you have to learn and practice, but I highly recommend Sugarshack's fondant dvd....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%