How Many Of You?

Decorating By edith123 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:07am by indydebi

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 6

How many of you have make you own wedding cakes? And how was your experience? would you do it again?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

Next Saturday, I will be married 19 years and 50 weeks, so it's been that long since I did my cake. I don't recall it being stressful at all, but I don't remember too much about the pre-wedding hours! Too busy "being a bride" I guess! The pic of the cake is on this thread, page 15 .... http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6026867#6026867

now, I also made my eldest daughter's wedding cake and handled the finger-foods reception. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that again ... too many mother-of-the-bride duties to handle. Thank God I had some great friends who pitched in and helped me last minute!

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

Wow! your cake and your wedding gown look beautiful! icon_surprised.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 6

I baked my own cake. From scratch.
I had only done one other tiered cake before, I was 24.
The dowel it and everything, it was level, because my husband to be used a level on the separater plates.
The only problem was, I didn't know the cake would settle a little overnight, so we cut the dowels perfectly even with the top of the icing. On wedding day there was a small gap beween the separator plate and the top of the cake, maybe 1/8 inch.

On the day of the wedding the volunteers at the church said they had never seen pieced on wood in a cake, so they took them out, needless to say the cake was not level for long.

I remember just before I walked down the isle hearing someone say my cake was leaning. I was scared it would fall before we got to the reception. It really wasn't that bad, you can barely see that the top layer is a little off.

I learned to cut the dowel shorter. I never did another wedding cake fore about 18 years, it took a friend wanting to learn how to do wedding cakes to make me face my fears. Thanks goodness we have a lot better stands and systems today.

Mary

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #5 of 6

Hey Indy... are you doing a giant blowout for your 20th?!?!?! Making the cake to beat all cakes for the party too?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #6 of 6

Nah ... our daughter's 16th birthday is 3 days before our anniversary (we didn't plan it that way!) so we're putting our energies there.

Now in January, when I turn 50 ...... ! icon_rolleyes.gif

I wanted to go to Vegas, get re=married in an Elvis chapel and get Spongebob tattoos .... hubby thought that was a dumb idea! Go figure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%