Never Used Fondant Before And Have A ?

Decorating By Tamara981 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm by knel

Tamara981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamara981 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 26

i have never used fondant befoe and i am going to attempt it with a friends bday cake in a few weeks. i was wondering if any of you have used the wilton pre made, and is it any good? or is it better to make your own? also is it easier to work with than bc?

25 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 26

Stop where you are! Back away from the Wilton fondant!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Wilton fondant is fine to practice with, but don't put it in your mouth. Gross. It has a chemical aftertaste and a chewing gum texture that is off-putting. If you don't want to make your own fondant (I recommend the recipe you can find here called Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant), try to find Satin Ice fondant. It's what I use. It's very very tasty and easy to work with.

Seriously, in a small defense of Wilton fondant, it's the only thing I use for cake dummies for competitions because it's cheap and no one's gonna eat it. That's about all I can say that's good about it. Satin Ice is my friend!

Deanna

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 26

totally agree!! I only use Wilton when making flowers, etc... nothing eaten!!! Satin Ice and Fondx are both wonderful to work with. So nice to work with and a great taste!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 26

Yep! Please don't create any more fondant haters by introducing fondant to them with Wilton premade. If you've never used it before you might not want to make your own because you kind of need to know when to stop adding sugar by feel. But when you do start making your own (its way better than premade) definately make Michele Foster's recipe.

Tamara981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamara981 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 26

thanks ladies i will stay away from the wilton fondant. no stores around me carry satin ice, that i have seen. so i will try to make my own.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 26

I used this my first time

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

You can use flavoring instead of water.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 26

Good luck!!! Here are some tips for Michele Foster's fondant recipe. Make it at least a day ahead of time. If you have to color it, make it at least two days ahead. It really does need that 24 hours to cure (or at least over night). Also it could use a good rest after coloring it. The warmth of your hands and the friction creating while adding color makes it pretty soft. Add enough powdered sugar so that its not sticking to your hands, but its not super firm, either. It will firm up after it cures. You can always add more sugar later if it's still too soft the next day. When you're ready to roll it out use a silicone mat or a sheet of vinyl dusted with cornstarch (or powdered sugar, or smeared with crisco-but I prefer cornstarch). Move it every couple of rolls to check for sticking. Here are a couple of videos that really helped me learn how to apply it.

sugarfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfly Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 26

thumbs_up.gif Thank you oh so much for that info. I joined CC just to learn how to work with fondant and you just answered my prayers. I get very nervous working with fondant,only two times, and seem to rush it and panic because of the creases. Now,that I SEE it being done,it has given me a better idea! icon_lol.gif I know coming to CC would be just GREAT!!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 26

I only use FondX if i don't make my own. It's the best tasting pre-made I have found. I personally don't like Satin Ice either(and neither did anyone in my family). I also agree with alanahodgson, that you shouldn't try to make your own until you have worked with it some, so that you will know when the texture is right. HTH!

sugarfly Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 26

Well,I do have some Satin Ice here that I play with from time to time. Making figures out of it and stuff. I covered a couple of cakes with it and had cracks and most likly rolled it out to thin. As far as tasting,I don't real know because my cakes are usually for someone else. I guess it is a matter of practice as far as learning how to handle it. icon_smile.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 26

Welcome to CC sugarfly
I only use Satin Ice fondant for the edible parts of cake. Wilton for bows and other things that won't be eaten.
You mentioned that you don't have a store close by that sells Satin Ice I do, but it is less expensive for me to order it from intotheoven.com.
I get great customer service and they ship fairly quickly. Give them a try.

Jibbies

sugarfly Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #12 of 26

No,that wasn't me. I do have Satin Ice. I think that the person you are thinking of lives in Florida. But not sure. Thank you for the advice,though. I will use it. I hear Wilton is not that tastey? thumbsdown.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #13 of 26

Welcome sugarfly!

EEEwwwww, yes, stay away from Wilton for a real cake.

Nasty, nasty stuff.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarfly Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 26

thanks for the warning. I will stay clear........ tapedshut.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

sorry to hijack..but kimmypooh79 i just noticed your avatar.....are you team jacob or team edward? I cannot wait until tomorrow at midnight to go get breaking dawn!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 26

I like the MMF. Easy to use, tastes good, easy to flavor and color. The biggest plus is if you are a newbie you can play with it for CHEAP so that you can learn more about the fondant feel.

sugarfly Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 26

OK,being a newbie,what is MMF?

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #18 of 26

You can find Satin Ice for a great price at www.intotheoven.com and www.cakesbysam.com . I usually receive my order in 2 to 3 days.

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayadesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

sorry to hijack..but kimmypooh79 i just noticed your avatar.....are you team jacob or team edward? I cannot wait until tomorrow at midnight to go get breaking dawn!

Team Edward thumbs_up.gif

ASimpleBaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #20 of 26

MMF= Marshmallow Fondant.

You can locate multiple recipes both here and at wilton.com. I like to use the one bunnywoman posted at the wilton.com site.

Baisically it is for the large recipe:

1 16oz bag marshmallows
2 tbl water (or a combination of water and flvoring)
2 punds powdered sugar

put the marshmallows and the liquid in a microwave container or bowl and melt using 30 second increments until the marshmellows puff up

Remove bowl (it will be hot!!) This is the time to add color if you wish, this way you do not ink your hands.

Mix in aprox half the powdered sugar in with a spoon (I use a spatuala)

Usually it is cool enough for me to mix in the remaining ps. I like to do so in increments until I reach the consistance I am looking for. sometimes this is less then the full amount.

Recently I used chocolate marshmallows and made chocalate mmf. Very yummy and a beautiful chocolate color. Plus it colored black very nicely!

Since this is so inexpensive, I feel comfortable making a batch and playing around with it. I have made decorations, covered cakes, even realistic flowers. When I am making something that I need hard quickly I like adding tylose.

HTH!

melmusick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmusick Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #21 of 26

Sorry, Im hijacking as well but I couldn't help myself...
Well, I don't know about kimmypooh79, but my daughter and I are TEAM EDWARD! We can hardly wait either. My daughter is one of the biggest fans! She got me to read the books ( I typically don't have time to read) and we have really bonded over them. I love it! Did you see Stephanie Meyers this morning on GMA? What team are you yayadesigns?

ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #22 of 26

What books are you referring too?

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

What books are you referring too?

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #24 of 26

A coworker just asked me to help make her daughter's wedding cake. The wedding is in two weeks and the mom is freaking out. She thought she could make it herself and already bought all the supplies.

Anyway - her daughter has requested 3 tiers, covered in white fondant, with white dots on each tier and white pearls around each tier. No problem - except I've never covered an entire cake with fondant. Ever. I found a tutorial and plan on practicing on my family.

Here's my question - she wants the bottom two tiers to be dummy cakes. Because I have other cakes that I'm working on, I want to make the dummy cakes ahead of time - like this weekend if possible. I know that I need to frost the real cake layer before covering it with fondant. What about the dummy cakes? Should I use Royal Icing so it will adhere to the styrofoam and stay put? I'm signed up for a fondant class, but that's 3 weeks from now (timing is everything, yanno?).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really want to help this woman out because her daughter sprung this all on her rather suddenly.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm
post #25 of 26

I'm also going to slightly hijack this thread, because I keep posting a question and then it disappears! Anyway, I am doing a fondant cake for my cousins wedding over the next few days. It is going to have tons of fondant leaves on it. Can I cut the leaves out ahead of time (like 2 or 3 days ahead) and just cover them with saran wrap? Maybe layer them up on a cookie sheet with saran wrap or parchment paper or something between each layer? I have little kids, so I would like to get the leaves done ahead so that I have plenty of time to attach them on Wednesday, as the sister is picking up the cake 6 am Thursday (wedding is 6 hours away so I can't drop it off).

TIA if anyone has any advice.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #26 of 26

I hate Wilton fondant- only use it for figurines, flowers, etc... However, I hated making MMF AT FIRST! I had a hard time getting it the right consistency. It seemed like it was impossible to kneed color into it. BUT with much practice, I have learned that it is actually very easy to do (and it's cheaper than buying a box of fondant). Grease everything that touches the fondant while making it with shortening. (BIG HELP!) I also figured out that it is easier to tint your MMF if it is really warm. Once I make the fondant, I let it rest overnight. Then I pull off my chunks, and nuke them in the microwave about 15 seconds. The color blends right in- evenly. It also makes it much more "elastistic" for rolling and cutting.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%